Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install a chrome shifter button in your VT/VX

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
If you want to improve the look of your VT/VX interior on the cheap then this is the perfect mod for you! By simply swapping the plain, bland back plastic shifter and handbrake buttons for the chrome ones found on the VTII and VX calais you will add instant class.

So I figured since I’m gonna do this anyway why not take some pics and write some instructions while I’m at it so others benefit from my experience. This wasn’t very hard to do and it took less than an hour complete and I’m a girl so u boys should be able to handle this with no probs . You have to agree that the new chrome button looks a hell of a lot better than the dodgy old black plastic one! For such a little cost (about $11 from holden if I remember correctly) it is probably one of the best and cheapest ways to improve your interior.
So here’s how it is done......

Step 1.
First remove the piece surrounding the shifter, to do this you will need to undo the screws on either side of the cigarette lighter (or dummy), now you will be able to lift the surrounding piece high enough to undo the plug for the electric windows (if fitted). You will now be able to remove this surrounding piece.

post-19-1093698209.jpg

Step 2.
Now you have removed this piece you will see 4 screws underneath where the surrounding piece was, undo these. You will then need to remove the screws joining the suede (or plastic) piece to the console surround. Next open the centre console and under the mat you will see 2 nuts, undo these (they are 10mm). You will find the final 2 screws that you need to remove in the back, put the seats forward and you will see a screw joining 2 plastic pieces. Now you should disconnect the cable for the power window. Now everything is undone you will be able to remove centre console- this is easy just lift it up and move it around a bit until you get it off (it helps if the shifter is in 1st).

post-19-1093698540.jpg

screws

post-19-1093698792.jpg

more....

post-19-1093698919.jpg

more...

post-19-1093699124.jpg

Last edited:

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Step 3.
Undo the screw on the back of the gear lever.

post-19-1093699324.jpg

Step 4.
Look underneath the shifter surround on the passenger side and you will see the shaft for the shifter, if you push the button down you will be able to see the pin. Use a pin pusher or something similar (I used a skinny screwdriver) to remove the pin (this is easy just give it a couple of taps with a hammer).

post-19-1093699515.jpg

Step 5.
Once the pin is out you will be able to remove the shifter (just a simple case of lifting it up), take the old shifter button out along with the spring. Now put the spring into the new button and place it where the old one was. Now put the shifter back.

post-19-1093699903.jpg

Step 6.
You will need to hold the button down to replace the pin (it helps to have an extra pair of hands now), lubricate the pin and now put it back in (this can be a bit tricky, I used a hammer and a metal rod)

Step 7. Reverse the procedure for removing all the plastic bits to reinstall them.

Step 8. You are now finished, sit back and enjoy looking at a classier interior.

Step 9. Off to holden to buy the matching chrome handbrake button if you havent already! (don’t worry fitting this is a piece of piss compared to the shift button)

before:

post-19-1093700270.jpg

and after......

post-19-1093700406.jpg

Well thats it, if you need to know anything else, just pm me. :)

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Big help

Hi Julie, thanks to your removal guide for selector surround I was able to install new spring into the small compartment door above the lighter. Schofields Holden in Auckland quoted $120 for labour and parts to fix this tiny spring. I got the part for $23 and saved heaps. Thanks.
Regards wpr.

Spitfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
Prius
Do you have the part number for it at all? As the local holden dealer is useless and everytime they order one in its for the wrong model or a completely different thing :| NVM

Handbrake: 92142530
Gear: 92141522

Last edited:

jake_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 1999
Anyone know how to fit the Chrome HANDBRAKE button?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i changed all my door handles and handbrake lever in my vt over to the alloy ones out of the vy ss....one little thing though that i did not realise at the time was the difference in colour of the dash etc....but you would nt notice it unless something was said.....looks the goods....i will post a pic once i have finished painting my dash inserts....

SIXAPPEAL

Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD Kitted VX on 20's
After some help thinking someone who might have written in here could help me.

I've got a VY/VZ Shifter I want to install in my car, I spoke to someone who has put it in their VT, and they said it's not that hard, and they were going to write up a FAQ for it, but never did. I'm aware the shifter's a different size etc.

He told me that it's pretty basic.. "It's not hard took me about a hour, but that was including figuring out how to do it. It's a matter of braking bits and drilling couple holes from memory"

Anyone who's taken their dash apart and seen what it's like where the shifter is able to tell me what I'd need to do to get this on?

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Changing Shift Button to Chrome

Just carried out your mod for changing the shift button to chrome. Not that hard as you said to do at all. Only pain was getting at the pin with the traction control button in the way but managed it with an extra set of hands. Makes the car look very bling inside. :dance: Thinking about the handbrake one!!

Great post Julie!!! :bow:

enviousent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
been wondering how to change 1 of these, thanx for the info, now ill be able to fit 1 in

thanx heaps

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
hi julie
great post one question will you marry me.