Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VR: IAC (Idle Air Control) How-To Clean

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
<B>Tools Needed:</B></p>
<ul>
<li>Medium Sized Philips head Screwdriver</li>
<li>10 mm ring spanner</li>
<li>13 mm ring spanner and open ended spanner </li>
<li>Pointed Nosed Pliers</li>
<li>Scraper</li>
<li>Ball hammer (If making your own gasket) <BR>
</li>
</ul>
<B>Other Material/s Needed:</B></p>
<ul>
<li>Gasket or manila so you can make your own</li>
<li>Grease
</li>
</ul>
If you've got crappy idle like just about every other VN owner which is not uncommon out there here's a quick and simple way of making things a little better or noticeably better.
<font color="#000000"> </font></p>
<ol>
<li>Using the Philips head screwdriver loosen the clamps on either end of the intake and remove to a safe place which won't get in your way. The throttle body looks like <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/Throttle_Body.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> <br>
If you have cruise control remove the 2x 10mm bolts and retaining clip on top of the throttle body. </li>
<li>Remove the Vac and Purge hoses from the throttle body and place them aside.</li>
<li>Remove the accelerator cable, I find it best if you spin it so the throttle is open as this makes life much easier.</li>
<li>Using the 13mm ring spanner and 13mm open ended spanner remove the 2x 13mm bolts holding the throttle body.</li>
<li>Remove both wiring connectors plus the PCV valve connector going to the throttle body and while your at it the MAP sensor tube running to the rear of the throttle.</li>
<li>The throttle body should now slide out allowing you to have easy access to it. <br>
If you are going to leave the area open for an extended amount of time just place some clean rag in there to prevent any rubbish getting inside. </li>
<li>Place the throttle body on some clean rag and remove the 2x Phillips head screws using the Philips head screwdriver holding the IAC in place.</li>
<li>Using a gentle rocking motion remove the IAC. A picture of the IAC fresh from the throttle body without being cleaned of course can be found <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/IAC_Dirty.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>. </li>
<li>You'll notice a lot of carbon and deposits on the above picture, using some petrol or carby cleaner in a well ventilated area wipe over the pintle itself, in the end it should look something like <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/IAC_Clean.jpg" target="_blank">here.</a></li>
<li>Just before placing it back on to the throttle body just check to make sure you have enough grease on the o-ring and check for any damage, if damaged simply replace it.</li>
<li>Prior to placing the throttle body back on to the vehicle ensure both mating surfaces are clean.</li>
<li>I make my own gaskets within reason as I wasn't able to buy one, this can easily be done using a manila folder and a ball hammer. Place the manila folder over the throttle body and gently hit it until you have the perfect gasket which is much better than a bought one :D </li>
<li>From here simply do everything in reverse. </li>
</ol>

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Can the manila be used for most gaskets like that?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I tended to use the manila folder on most things on the VN and it's still running well.

In other words you sure can use it for most other places although I tend to stick to smaller things like thermostat housings, the water pump for example it's much easier to buy one.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
im thinking of tying but im not very mechanicaly minded. is it hard to take off and put back on the accelerator and cruise control cables?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Not at all, without looking on the VN there is a clip holder which holds the cruise cable on, as for the accelerator open it to full throttle to unwrap it and lift up.

Some pointy nose pliers might come in useful for the accelerator cable.

If your still unsure I am sure I could grab a few pics of this fairly easily.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
sweet!!! well i might give it a try 1 of these weekends my idle is really rough. if i get stuck you'll c my post on there but il let you no either way. :yeah: is anything in the instructions different for a vr s2 cos thats what i got? :)

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
IV DONE IT!!! i didnt think i could do it.. thanks darren, great instructions. i was bloody filthy. made a huge difference in acceleration the idle is better but still a big dodgy every so often with a bit of misfire. ohh and 1 last question for any1 who can help me. after removing and cleaning the trottle body and IAC do you have to reset the IAC or computer or anything like that?

cheers

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
yeah thats wat i thought! the computer will adjust it itself after a while.
1 thing i didnt do is change the gasket, i hope it doesnt cause ant problems, it still looked in good nick.

Philth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
just doing the IAC, mine doesnt appear to have a gasket :my: Its a S1.
It has the rubber O ring, but nothing else, is this right?