Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VS: Replacing the Brake Pads (Disc Variety)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
<B>Tools Needed:</B></p>
<ul>
<li>19mm ring spanner</li>
<li>'C' clamp (150mm) </li>
</ul>
<B>Other Material/s Needed:</B></p>
<ul>
<li>Never-Seize or Loctite</li>
<li>Wire brush</li>
</ul>
Here's an easy way to save a few bucks and do your own brake pads.<BR>
<font color="#000000">Before you commence any work on the brakes ensure the rear tyres or front tyres are chocked (Depending on which you are doing)</font></p>
<ol>
<li><strong><font color="#FF0000">IMPORTANT</font></strong> Jack up the vehicle using your standard trolley jack, you know your higher enough when the wheel spins freely, once at the right height place an axle stand under the car as well.</li>
<li>Remove the tyre so the disc is exposed, you should notice it looking very much like <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/Tyre_Removed.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> perhaps a little cleaner.</li>
<li>Around the rear of the caliper you will find 2x 19mm bolts, using the ring spanner loosen them and then do the rest by finger. In this picture <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/Brake_Caliper.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> you'll see one of the bolts, there is another one down a little further. </li>
<li>Once both the bolts have been removed slide the caliper using a rocking motion toward the front of the vehicle, once off simply rest it on top of the disc.</li>
<li>Remove the pad closest to you leaving the one sitting up against the piston which is demonstrated clearly <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/Pad_1_Removed.jpg">here</a>.</li>
<li>Remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir. <br>
The next step is ideally done with two people, one to watch the brake fluid level to ensure it doesn't go over the top and the other to complete step 7.</li>
<li>Place the 'C' clamp over the caliper as demonstrated <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/C_Clamp.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and rotate the handle to get the piston right back. You may need to have a couple of bites at this but ideally you want the piston as far back as possible otherwise the caliper will not fit over the disc.</li>
<li>Once completed remove the pad you left alone previously.</li>
<li>Grab the new brake pads and give them a light scrub to remove anything on them.</li>
<li>Place the new pad in the caliper starting from the piston side getting the retaining spring clip as close to the piston as possible, while pushing down push back until the pad slides into place.</li>
<li>Repeat the same process with the other pad except having the retaining spring clip as close as possible to yourself. Once both pads are in place it should look something like <a href="http://www.justcommodores.com.au/images/New_Pads_In_Position.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>. </li>
<li>Place the caliper back over the disc.</li>
<li>Before placing the bolts back into the caliper give them a clean using a wire brush and coat the threads in some never-seize or loctite which will make them a lot easier to remove next time round no matter how hot they get.</li>
<li>I find the bottom bolt easiest to get back in for some reason but you can do whichever you please, do it up finger tight and repeat that same process with the one above or below it and then tension using the ring spanner so they are fairly firm.</li>
<li>Once your satisfied all the above has been done place the tyre back on and tighten using the standard star pattern so you can be sure the tyre goes back on even. </li>
<li>Remove the axel stand and lower the jack.</li>
<li>Re-tension the nuts on the tyre to ensure they are tight enough, I've had a wheel come off previously so I am always extra cautious when it comes to wheel nuts. </li>
<li>Repeat from Step 1 on the other side of the vehicle.</li>
</ol>

K

koma

Awesome info!
Isnt there something you have to do with embedding the pads once their installed?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
You need to 'bed in' the pads, by avoiding exessive or harsh braking for around 500km.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Bedding in your new brakes helps build an even layer of brake pad deposits on the surface of the disc rotor. If the surface is unevenly coated, you'll get hot spots which cause small imperfections in the disc, resulting in vibrations, uneven pad and disc wear, cracking and other nasties. It's not as important when fitting pads to older rotors.

Personally I think discs should be measured for tolerance and inspected by a professional before new pads are fitted. 70% of people who come in for pads end up needing machining or replacement rotors because they've been driving around when them buggered for so long.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
i been driving mine buggered for so long i need new discs.....very soon too...i got a dirty big gash through the front left disc ill get onto it soon :D

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Haha down to the metal in the pad's eh Gobbles? I did the same thing before I did the VLT conversion. I went through a set of pads in 9 months. Insane!!

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
ill jack her up in the morning take the wheel off and take a photo its a beauty of a gash no idea how it happened there is still plenty of pad left on the fronts just not the rears last time i checked was before indy and they needed changing asap then so its gonna look pretty grim soon argh :)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
hmmm wel i made a fine mess og my rear left brake and the front two arent exactly healhty so its new pads and rotors for me [ scored a stock set, 100% new for $250 :)

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
good right up but i prob should just correct you on a couple of things.

OK you shouldnt undo those 19mm bolts. they are what hold the entire caliper on there. Above those bolts there is 2 slide runners you better off to undo one of these. I tink its the bottom one of the top of my head. Its a 15mm socket and a 17mm open ended spanner. The main reason i see as to why it should be done this way is that those runners should be lubbed up everytime you change the pads. simply squirt some oil in there and rub it on the slid itself. Its also easier to get the caliper back on doing it this way. Cause you just sit the pads in there little home and puch the caliper down and bob is your uncle, Just gotta make sure that the spring clip thingos sit in right. Then you do the bolt back up.

I think thats all.. Im not meaning to %$&@ stir but its a much easier and benifical way to do it. If you dont lube those slides up they tend to seize. Exspecially in falcons.