Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
First thing you need to do is remove the dash fascia to get to the instrument cluster. To remove the dash fascia, unclip the gear shifter and power window surround (just gently pull it upwards being careful not to break anything). Now undo the 2 screws on either side of the cigarette lighter (or dummy).

Now you need to undo the 2 screws at the top of the instrument panel. Now lift down the panel undernath the steering wheel (the thing u open to get to fuses),then undo the 3 screws at the top holding the fascia in.

The dash fascia will now be ready to partially remove, carefully unclip the fascia. Before the fascia is completely removed you will have to unplug all the electrical connectors (lights switch, hazards, fog lights, trip mode), to do this simply reach from behind and pull them out whilst holding the front. Depending on what stereo you have and how it has been mounted, this may also need to be removed. Now the dash fascia can be carefully removed.

Its best to now lower the steering wheel as far down as it will go. The instrument cluster has 2 screws holding it in at the top. Unscrew these, now pull out the cluster just far enough to get your hand behind it and unplug it from the wiring harness. Now the cluster can be carefully pulled out.

Thats the hardest bit out of the way, to change the bulbs is a 5 sec task, simply twist out the dodgy bulb and twist in a new one.

Now you gotta put it all back together, which is just a simple case of revresing the removal procedure.

It really is easier than it sounds, I have done it numerous times and never had any problems. It won't take too long either. If you have any more questions about this, let me know and I'll try to help u out.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
A/c bulbs

Julie, I read your submission with interest. You might be able to help me with a further query. he bulbs behind my VT exec. A/Cond/demister controls have failed. Holden quoted me about $175 labour to replace the series of $2 bulbs. The bloke said something about being careful with hoses etc. Is this a formidable job or quite within the expertise of a (patient) backyarder? Thanks

D

djlingard04

Do it yourself!!! Its as easy as the above procedure but you dont have to pull the speedo out. Just unscrew the 3 screws of the AC controld unit and pull the front cover off. there you go there is your bulbs!!!

dlucre

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive 4sp Auto 5L V8
I have a similar issue with the climate control on my VT. One of the lights has gone, and only half the display is clearly visible. During the day it's OK, but at night it's a little difficult to see.

Anyway, will these instructions be sufficient for that job too?

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
Replaced the bulb in my VT trip comp yesterday, $9 for a globe seems a bit pricey...but saved a few hundred doing it myself with the above instructions.

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Does anyone have the part numbers for these bulbs? Or are they generic bulbs I can get from an auto parts store?

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
Had to get mine from Motor Traders here in Adelaide , none of the auto part places i tried carried them.

myvrwagonneedshelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
I have a similar issue with the climate control on my VT. One of the lights has gone, and only half the display is clearly visible. During the day it's OK, but at night it's a little difficult to see.

Anyway, will these instructions be sufficient for that job too?

Hey Just wondering how you went with the climate control bulb replacement I have to do the same thing.

Cheers Man,

mourati

Reaction score
Hi there - can some one please post some instructions on how to replace the globe on the a/c switch - this is the globe that lights up only when u turn your driving lights on and not the one that is amber lite when a/c is switch on. Thanks very much and I hope I havn't asked a silly question. Cheers

rpurser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec Wagon
hey, does anyone know how to change the colour of the instruement cluster easily? can i use coloured leds or globes or is there more to it? thanks