Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ZOMGWTFBBQLOL how to tell if i have an LSD thread:

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Due to recent amount of questions posed asking whether or not people have an LSD fitted to their car... I figured I'd write a quick guide:

so, ways to tell if your car has an LSD: (VL - VS solid axle)

1. Check the tag in the engine bay for the correct code for a factory fitted LSD: (Cheers to 'Airstrike' for these codes)

VN Range:

• G80: factory fitted LSD.
  • GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8's)
  • GU5 - 3.23:1 (XT1 package - SV3800)
  • GM3 - 3.45:1 (XV2 package - Group A)
  • GN9 - 4.11:1 (4 cyl export)

VP range:
  • GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8)
  • GW6 - 3.27:1 (V6 SS)
  • GS4 - 3.7:1 (2.6lt 4 cyl)
  • GN9 - 4.11:1 (2.0lt 4cyl)
  • G80 - LSD

VR range:
  • GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8)
  • GM3 - 3.45:1 (All 5.7lt)
  • GS4 - 3.7:1 (2.6lt 4 cyl)
  • G80 - LSD
  • Jack up the rear of your car so both rear wheels are in the air.
  • Make sure the car is supported safely and the front wheels chocked.
  • Place the car in neutral with the handbrake off.
  • Turn one of the rear wheels as if the car is driving forward. If the other wheel turns the same way, chances are you have an LSD - If the other wheel turns the opposite way, chances are you have an open diff.

3. If you have an LSD, chances are you will have a tag hanging off the oil filler plug located on your doff center cover. the tag will say "[HIGH PERFORMANCE] LSD use approved lub only" - or something to that extent. If the tag says "HIGH PERFORMANCE" (or something like that, with NO mention of LSD...) then it is likely that it's NOT an LSD.

4. You can only be really positive that you have an LSD by inspecting the diff center. - this can be done by removing the rear cover off your diff. (watch out there's plenty of smelly diff oil behind there). You should be able to ID the center without actually taking it out of the diff housing.... here's a pic of the two centers and ID points:

Attachments

• lsdpic.jpg
    lsdpic.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3,877
Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Will be plated G80 if it's factory fitted LSD.
As for axle ratio's, they are as follows (for a VN, ill do the rest later):
GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8's)
GU5 - 3.23:1 (XT1 package - SV3800)
GM3 - 3.45:1 (XV2 package - Group A)
GN9 - 4.11:1 (4 cyl export)

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
quote:3. If you have an LSD, chances are you will have a tag hanging off the oil filler plug located on your doff center cover. the tag will say "LSD use approved lub only" - or something to that extent. If the tag says "HIGH PERFORMANCE" (or something like that) then it is likely that it's NOT an LSD.:quote

i have a tag on my v6 vs calais that says high performance lsd use approved lubricant only? also funny thing, on the compliance plates its code is open centre (i think will have to check again just to be sure)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
my bad

some diffs say "high performance differential" and that's it.... this from memory refers to the v8 single spinners, which contain shot-peened gears. - I'll update guide!

It's possible that your car has had an LSD diff put into it after it left the factory?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
my bad

some diffs say "high performance differential" and that's it.... this from memory refers to the v8 single spinners, which contain shot-peened gears. - I'll update guide!

It's possible that your car has had an LSD diff put into it after it left the factory?

might be wrong but a bloke i used to work with said some times the factory if they have eccess stock will use up there excess stock and throw in what ever they have left over ect (save the company money)! i probably impossible to tell but to me it looks like it came that way from the factory? anyway when i get the chance i will jace the end up and do the lsd test;)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
VP range:
GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8)
GW6 - 3.27:1 (V6 SS)
GS4 - 3.7:1 (2.6lt 4 cyl)
GN9 - 4.11:1 (2.0lt 4cyl)
G80 - LSD

VR range:
GU4 - 3.08:1 (All V6 and V8)
GM3 - 3.45:1 (All 5.7lt)
GS4 - 3.7:1 (2.6lt 4 cyl)
G80 - LSD

VS range:
Ill get back to you, software is having a heart attack!

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
do these axle codes apply to utes, someone once told me that ALL utes had and LSD, however my tag under the hood reads GU4, and it is definately an lsd, and i got my cousin to chase up the previous owner before him, and i now have word from every owner, that none of them put one in it, so maybee there are some exceptions to the axle codes?

Last edited:

The Harvester

Kickback or Overtake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Senator 215i
:thumbsup:Brilliant work, I've got nowhere for days trying to locate info and pictures to identify if the spare diff i have is LSD or open. Thanks to your thread I now have the answer I've been looking ages for. Top stuff.