Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VY/VZ door trim

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Ok, i've been asked a couple of times and since i was doing mine today i thought i'd post up some pics and a rough guide to help people along.

Tools required: small flat blade screwdriver
Medium phillips head screwdriver
Stubby phillips screwdriver

1. Using your small flat blade, gently prise the red part of your doorlock towards you.At the same time pull up on the lock with your free hand until the lock slides free.Once it's out undo the screw and remove the lock trim.
RIMG1014.jpg

2.Still with your flat blade, pop out the screw cover on your door handle and unscrew the handle.Remove the handle, it's attatched to the rod so pull on the handle like you were opening the door and it will come free.Undo the screw behind the handle.This one is commonly missed so make sure you get it!
RIMG1015.jpg

RIMG1016.jpg

3. Take the air vent off the top of the trim in the corner.It's held in by a plastic clip so gently free it by pulling it towards you. (If you break the clip don't panic, your local holden will more than likely give you one for free!:D)
RIMG1018.jpg

4. Unscrew the trim, there are 7 screws to take off.4 along the bottom, 2 on the outside and 1 on the inside, this one you'll need your stubby screwdriver to do.
RIMG1017.jpg

5.Your trim is almost off! Grabbing the bottom of the trim with your hand, pull it towards you so it comes away from the door.Then carefully lift the trim straight up towards the window, it should now be free.
RIMG1019.jpg

6. Rest the trim on something and use your flat blade to gently prise the mirror switch out of the trim.Unplug the switch and your trim is now completely free from the car!
RIMG1020.jpg

RIMG1021.jpg

It should now look like this, ready to play!:yeah:
RIMG1022.jpg

This is a guide and i take no responsibility for damage done if you're too rough or don't follow the instructions.Just take your time and you'll find it's quite easy.The guide i have supplied is based on the front drivers door with power windows.Anything that i may have missed please add it into this thread.Hope it helps.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Great thread Juzo! :thumbsup: Sure to be a big assist to anyone who needs to do this. (done it myself more than I can count, but....) ;)

(Seeing as nobody else has replied, I thought I would....)

As a side note, it's a very similar - if not identical - procedure for VT and VX as well, with the possible exception that you might have window winders to contend with.....
(gotta lurve power windows!!) :D

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Great thread Juzo! :thumbsup: Sure to be a big assist to anyone who needs to do this. (done it myself more than I can count, but....) ;)

(Seeing as nobody else has replied, I thought I would....)

As a side note, it's a very similar - if not identical - procedure for VT and VX as well, with the possible exception that you might have window winders to contend with.....
(gotta lurve power windows!!) :D

Cheers phreddy, done it heaps myself now but a bit of a pain for the first timers so just hope it helps a few out.:thumbsup:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
what about doors that have window winders not eletric windows how do you remove the winder?

If they're like the older models there will be a clip that you need to remove. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pop it out by sliding the screwdriver between the winder and the trim, you should be able to see it.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
thankyou very much for this thread :)
I tried doing it and i coulnd't get it all off but i missed the screw in the black metal piece behind the door handle, so im pretty sure she'll fully come off now :)

thanks again, you did a great job explaining, much appreciated :D

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Great job mate. Just spent 2 hours fixing my power window thanks to you showing us how to actually take off the door trim. Always never knew there was the door handle and then behind that the clip for the door. Oh yer and i fixed my window lol. So thanks again mate for the help.

ikon5643

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0 L
great thread.....electric window models are always the easiest to pull out my VT SS has winding windows and those circlips can be a prick if you dont have the right tool