Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Hey all,
I know there is some threads around with some instructions here and there on how to do this but since i was doing this today i thought i'd take some snaps whilst doing it to help people along. Keep in mind this is just a guide and i take no responsibility if you stuff it up cutting corners and end up wearing your airbag!;)

For starters, disconnect your battery and leave for a period of time before starting, 10-15 should do it.
Also make sure that you have your front wheels straight as well as your steering wheel so you don't go putting it back on crooked.:)

1. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and insert into the slots on the back of your wheel. There are 2 per side, once in turn the screwdriver whilst gently pulling the airbag towards you, you will feel the airbag come away slighty from the wheel.Continue this until all 4 are done and the airbag should be free of the wheel.
RIMG1066.jpg

2. Once the clips are released you'll have to unplug the bag. Gently remove the yellow plug in the centre of the bag shown below, then remove the red wire also from the bag assembly. The airbag will now be completely free of the wheel.
RIMG1067.jpg

3. Place your airbag facing up away from the car just in case, heard a couple of stories of bags going off!:yeah:
Grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the screw holding the green wire to the wheel.
RIMG1068.jpg

4. Undo the clip connecting the steering controls shown below.
RIMG1070.jpg

5. Using a 30mm socket with extension undo the centre nut of the wheel.
RIMG1069.jpg

6. Thread wire looms through opening at the back of the wheel and gently slide the wheel towards you off the spline, the wheel should now be free.
RIMG1071.jpg

7. If you are changing your spokes on your wheel grab a phillips head screwdriver and undo the 2 gold screws on the wheel as shown.
RIMG1072.jpg

8. Flip wheel over and grab the plastic case and just pull towards you, it should come free of the wheel and expose the screws holding the spokes in.
RIMG1073.jpg

RIMG1074.jpg

Work in reverse to fit your wheel back up, just remember not to hook your battery up until everything is back together!:D

Last edited:

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
thanks for that dude! Good description and pix.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Great guide i never would of thought i could take my steering wheel off by my self untill i read this... note to anyone else (this was purley my carless fault) when removing the steering wheel it was obviosly the 1st time it had been taken off since it was built, so i gave it a real good pull and the steering wheel control wire got caught and got torn out of its jack... so in future others may want to make sure every wire is out of the way if its abit tight...

apart from that the new spokes look great :)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Great guide i never would of thought i could take my steering wheel off by my self untill i read this... note to anyone else (this was purley my carless fault) when removing the steering wheel it was obviosly the 1st time it had been taken off since it was built, so i gave it a real good pull and the steering wheel control wire got caught and got torn out of its jack... so in future others may want to make sure every wire is out of the way if its abit tight...

apart from that the new spokes look great :)

Yes good point.:thumbsup:
Loctite on the spline would be the reason for this so take it easy guys.:D

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Airbag!!!

Can i suggest that anyone doing this removes the airbag fuse. I have heard shorts occuring (although very unlikely) and the airbag going off. I can't imagine what your face would look like with a close impact from an airbag...

vzo5martini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Martini
so how do you connect your steering wheel controls to a different stereo. Is it hard. How does it work?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
so how do you connect your steering wheel controls to a different stereo. Is it hard. How does it work?

If you're talking about aftermarket stereos then most likely you'll need the cat interface. Use the search option, there are some threads that have already covered the subject.