Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home made Suspension Bush remover

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Tired of taking suspension arms to Pedders & the local garage to have bushes pushed out I knocked this up.Now i realise it ain't exactly a thing of beauty but it works a treat.Works on all suspension arm bushes including the diff bushes for which i originaly made it but the added bonus is it fits all.I chopped a 50mm piece of steel pipe off her gate post, she weren't real happy about.The diamater of the pipe is 53mm.I welded a plate on 1 end & drilled an 11mm hole in.Then i used a 160mmx11mm bolt, sum large flat steel washers, i used sum washers from an old VK old Raduis Rod.Put it on 1 side of the bush, the side which is tapered, start winding the nut & the bush extrudes out inside the pipe.Works every time.Hope it may help sumbody else as it saves lots of time & $$.For the 15mins it took me to knock it up it's already payed for itself...

Attachments

• Suspension bush remover.jpg
    Suspension bush remover.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 6,997

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
yeh we have one of those. (not that particular one though haha)..was mad buy my grandfather when he worked at holden 25 years ago....works good

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The idea has been around for a long time yes, but now it is in the HOWTO section where it belongs, heck if you look at my "HOWTO VR/VS radius rod bushes" thread I have a simple version of this there too (With credit given to who I got the idea off)

I like that now anyone who browses this section (as it is a small section) is likely to find it.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
The idea has been around for a long time yes, but now it is in the HOWTO section where it belongs, heck if you look at my "HOWTO VR/VS radius rod bushes" thread I have a simple version of this there too (With credit given to who I got the idea off)

I like that now anyone who browses this section (as it is a small section) is likely to find it.

agree. Its about time someone made a how to for it, as its such a popular question on how to make a tool or, how to remove the bushes etc......now we can lead them to this thread

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
ok 1 very important thing to remember you need something between the metal plates to stop them coming in and enlarging the holes.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok 1 very important thing to remember you need something between the metal plates to stop them coming in and enlarging the holes.

that is very true....i found it out the hard way (when doing the lower control arms lol)

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
yup 4got 2 mention i have a collection of diffrent lenghts RHS to use as spacers to hold the bush housings in position under the strain.I soak them in a bucket of old engine oil 4 a day or 2 b4hand.I have so many suspension parts & arms here i just remove the worn stuff & wack on arms I've reconditioned previously with new bushes in instead of fixing the one i've just taken off, but i have the room to store all this snot & sum ppl don't..

Clydegray

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VP Commodore Executive sudan
Tired of taking suspension arms to Pedders & the local garage to have bushes pushed out I knocked this up.Now i realise it ain't exactly a thing of beauty but it works a treat.Works on all suspension arm bushes including the diff bushes for which i originaly made it but the added bonus is it fits all.I chopped a 50mm piece of steel pipe off her gate post, she weren't real happy about.The diamater of the pipe is 53mm.I welded a plate on 1 end & drilled an 11mm hole in.Then i used a 160mmx11mm bolt, sum large flat steel washers, i used sum washers from an old VK old Raduis Rod.Put it on 1 side of the bush, the side which is tapered, start winding the nut & the bush extrudes out inside the pipe.Works every time.Hope it may help sumbody else as it saves lots of time & $$.For the 15mins it took me to knock it up it's already payed for itself...
Hi, is that 53mm inside or outside diamater of pipe? and isit exactly 50mm long?