Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to fix speedo VS Commodore

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
There have been many posts regarding Commodore speedos not working. Most of the advice tends to direct owners to either check their 'speed sensors', replace little internal cogs in their speedos or replace the cluster.

Having bought a cheap secondhand VS I was faced with the problem of no speedo and no reverse in the auto. I assumed that after I had replaced my transmission that the speedo would come to life, unfortunately for me, this was not the case.

Having nothing to lose I thought that i would remove the instrument cluster and have a look to see if anything was obviously wrong.

Having removed the cluster I took it indoors and inspected it. I was pleased to see that on the back there was information printed which gave me a clue as to where to look for a possible broken copper track. ( See pic 1 ) (Below.)

Using a multi-meter I started to check for breaks along, what I thought were, speedo related connections. these were:

Con 2 - Pins 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 ( See pic 2 ) ( Track 2 marked with pencil )

I used the meter set on 'Resistance' and checked for continuity from one end of each connector to the other. If I got a reading of 0 ohms then I new that that particular track was good. ( See pic 3 )

As i was thinking , "Why am I bothering to do this! " I suddenly got a reading of 1 ( Meaning an open circuit or break in the track ). ( See pic 4 ), this was on 'Con 2 / Pin 11' ( Pulse Ground ).

Narrowing it down, by carefully exposing the track with a razor blade and bringing the meter probes closer together, I managed to locate the exact area which was causing the problem.

Where the rear overlay is fitted to the back of the instrument cluster it was slightly oversized , only by a couple of millimetres, but, because of this, it had been trapped when the cluster was pushed into the dashboard. Over time the area had been eroded and the track had broken.

( See pic 5 )

How to fix it?

I couldn't solder the join as the heat would have damaged the plastic membrane even more!

I decided to try an old trick I once used on a computer keyboard with a similair type of break. I used a thin sliver of tin foil and, after exposing the break, again, using a razor blade ( See pic 6 ),

I sellotaped the foil over the break making a bridge.

I reinforced it with more tape ( See pic 7 ) before hastily returning to my car and re-installing the instrument cluster.

Guess what......? ~ The speedo works!!! :)

Not only that but the digital speedo function on the 'speed alert' panel also works. This suggests that the signal for the 'speed alert' comes via the analogue speedo. You can use this knowledge to check your 'speed sensor' function.

To get the digital speedo function, hold in both buttons on the speed alert panel whilst you start the car. Go for a drive, and if both are not working then it is likely that the speed sensor on the gearbox or the analogue speedo are not working. If the digital speedo is working, but not the analogue, then your speed sensor is ok but this fix-it is probably not going to help you because you may need a new speedo.

Hope this helps someone out there and I wonder how many people have thrown away speedos that could have been fixed using this simple method!!

Marvin. ( [email protected] )

Attachments

• con2.JPG
    con2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 7,043
  • con2 pin2.JPG
    con2 pin2.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 6,438
  • test pass.JPG
    test pass.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 7,614
  • test fail.JPG
    test fail.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 8,607
  • track break.JPG
    track break.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 6,116
  • expose track.JPG
    expose track.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 7,456
  • finished repair.JPG
    finished repair.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 7,298
Last edited:

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
Fantastic write up. Well done!!

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
brilliant. great wright up well done will be very helpfull

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks Apoc & Fuzzy for the feedback. This is my first post I've gained much from this site and thought it was time that I gave something back!

Marvin.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
you can also get a conductive track repair paint from electronic shops for this sort of work, expose the track with the razor across the break and paint it up, then coat it with a clear nail polish :p

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
mate thanks heaps, this saved me from a possible defect.

i always thought that converted speed alert speedo worked separate from the analogue speedo, how wrong was i.

the tracer that was broken was the same one in your thread, but on the bottom when it bends around 90*

i now i have a few layers of electrical tape around that area shouldn't happen again.

egadgetjnr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi guys, What abour where there are digits missing on the speed alert area. Like, for example. instead of an 8 it looks like an 8 without a top. Im thinking maybe the LCD isn't getting full connectivitiy?
Im about to buy a 1995 VS and thats one of the things wrong with it and i was looking at fixing myself.

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Reply to HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK,
I'm very happy to hear that you got something out of my post. - Thanks for the feedback.
If you hear of anyone else with a dodgey speedo you'll now be able to give them the benefit of your experience! Cheers, Marvin.

lucky lucas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 exec sedan
speedo not working

the damage to track 11 con 2 is same as mine but underneath, while i was careful taking cluster out and in , the problem was i did it 10 times kept checking speedo taking things apart, the needle part i thought i may have disturbed calibration when removing it, but this has happenned before, ive changed whole circuit board but it was scratched too , i will inspect to find best one, even get out the multimeter and check the tracks, so its imortant to be so careful when sliding cluster into dash, the back male plugs on the car must be secured in place with there clip in nature and you can feel them in with a push once they are located... but dont scratch the track, seems track 11 culprit with a few of us, about to do job now will let you know... cheers good about the speed alert too what an easy check for speed sensor....

lucky lucas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 exec sedan
the damage to track 11 con 2 is same as mine but underneath, while i was careful taking cluster out and in , the problem was i did it 10 times kept checking speedo taking things apart, the needle part i thought i may have disturbed calibration when removing it, but this has happenned before, ive changed whole circuit board but it was scratched too , i will inspect to find best one, even get out the multimeter and check the tracks, so its imortant to be so careful when sliding cluster into dash, the back male plugs on the car must be secured in place with there clip in nature and you can feel them in with a push once they are located... but dont scratch the track, seems track 11 culprit with a few of us, about to do job now will let you know... cheers good about the speed alert too what an easy check for speed sensor....
....2 hours later, job done it works, lucky me, saved 50 on a new cluster , i scraped between two good points on faulty track, multimeter a must, and foiled it , taped it checked circuit , and sppeedo now works, odometer works thanks to new gear under stepmotor easy to do tricky part is speedo needle, while the signal was now there.. hooray... i had to refit speedo needle as it was too tight and jerked and dropped to quick, thought it was out and damaged but placed needle not so tight but secure. and now its sweet even matches the digital speed alert when that mode is selected. thank you marvin for the original post i spent all day but was worth it... cheers peter lucas