Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Climate Control Fan or Blower Speed Resistor or Controller

fixedit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Calais V Redline Wagon
I have a VY with climate control and the fan only worked on maximum speed. This is typical of when the Fan or Blower Speed Resistor or Controller part fails. The most amazing thing was it failed because a wire soldered to the outside of the unit had become unsoldered and I simply resoldered it. Fixed!. Don't know if this could be the case for other models but here's the steps:

1. Open glovebox.
2. Pull glovebox down past the rubber stoppers or you can slide the stoppers out.
3. Remove glovebox by pulling out of retaining clips at back. Very easy.
4. Resistor is on right hand side with wiring connector at back.
5. Unclip wiring connector.
6. Undo two screws one on either side.
7. Slide out - it sits inside one of the ducts.
8. Check the wire on the side is still soldered. If not re-solder. If still intact, suggest you get a new one.
9. Reinstall in reverse order.

racer83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute 5.
thanks for the info, really helped me out, yes mine had the same problem, 2 seconds with the soldering iron and it was all fixed!!!!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
would this be a resister if the fan feels weak? non climate control vy.
my g/f's dads vy felt stronger on his settings than mine does, but mine still gets the car cool and warm pritty quick, just feels a little weak.

Hallett505

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive V6
Many thanks for this post, I had the same problem and I reckon you saved me over $150 as I am sure the Holden Dealer would have charged for the new part plus labour

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Great post - as usual - from from the "gurus" on this forum.

However -

I have a VY I with Climate control - no resistor here - just a fat transistor on a chunky heatsink. Labeled "Air International". Also needed to remove the glovebox support rails to get this beastie out.

There was a post somewhere else (VT?) about replacing the transistor for $12 rather than the $80 Holden part.

Boyington214

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hey All,

Great Posts! Saved me a lot of bucks. However, I think the problem I am having with my VY goes a little further than just the resistor. I am currently on my 3rd replacement resistor, (Re-Soldering the wire on the bottom did not help). The resistor lasts about a week, then, the same problem arises. Fan only works on Flat out with no Air con. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can shed some light on it? The problem started about a month ago when the heater was running. I got a burning plastic smell from the heater. Then it stopped working. Replaced the resistor (as per several posts on this forum!) which got it working again. A few days later.... Dead again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as Holden have told me I would be looking at $400+. Thus I have not taken it to them.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Just had this happen to my VY. Great post, resoldered the connection and it's good as new :)
I too had to loosen off the glovebox support rail to get it out. And it is just a transistor with a large heatsink on it. I can't see why you couldn't just get another transistor and pop it in rather then getting the whole heatsink/socket assembly from Holden.

Hey All,

Great Posts! Saved me a lot of bucks. However, I think the problem I am having with my VY goes a little further than just the resistor. I am currently on my 3rd replacement resistor, (Re-Soldering the wire on the bottom did not help). The resistor lasts about a week, then, the same problem arises. Fan only works on Flat out with no Air con. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can shed some light on it? The problem started about a month ago when the heater was running. I got a burning plastic smell from the heater. Then it stopped working. Replaced the resistor (as per several posts on this forum!) which got it working again. A few days later.... Dead again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as Holden have told me I would be looking at $400+. Thus I have not taken it to them.
Tried replacing the fan and check for shorts in the wiring? Something is pulling more current then it should, overloading the transistor and causing it to burn out.

Boss_hogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra 5.7
Awesome advice and easy to do. Was quoted $200 and something:surprise:

CWALKR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Perfect intstructions!!!
was struggling to find where it was till i read this post!

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
the blower on my vt did not work on high.replaced the relay ( $20 and 1 minute ) FIXED