Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD computer screen vs LCD TV

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
so I'm thinking i would like a 55" 116cm LED LCD TV for Christmas :w00t: instead of a lump of coal. i want to use it as a huge **** off computer screen but i have been told by a half assed source that the quality of the LCD TV would be less than the LCD computer screen.
is this correct? any way around it kinda thing?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
which one is it, 55" or 116cm? either way, they're both ****ing huge (especially 55"), and you will need to be sitting at least 2 metres away from it if you want to use it as a computer screen.

the reason why the quality of an lcd tv is worse than an lcd monitor is because they run the same resolution, let's say, both full HD (1920x1080) for this purpose, except the tv is more than twice the size of the lcd. therefore, the pixels are twice the size, and you lose a lot of fidelity. this is ok for movies etc, however for computer use (text) it becomes a little worse. you can make this up by sitting further away from the monitor, but i don't think you'd want to sit 2-3 metres away.

i was going to buy a full hd 32" to use as my main computer screen, however i would be sitting roughly 800mm away, and it was too big at that distance. some people do use 32" for every day computing, however i have never heard of someone using 40"+. it's just too big.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
if you want to use a 55" tv for a computer i would suggest get multiple hd computer screens and link them up

dozenmatta

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Sedan Barbados Mica Blue
Would be good for games, movies and pron while lying on your lounge.

Lano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1
I used a 42" FullHD as a replacement monitor for a while, before I attached it to the media centre in the loungeroom. It was good, but too large for my seating position at about a metre away (rather than my eyes roaming around the scream, I had to move my head to roam around the screen).
Basically it comes down to how close are you going to be to the screen?

Brail

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
I use a 40 inch lcd as my second computers screen. It is fine for gaming provided you have a really good graphics card and match the resolution of the computer to the resolution of the lcd. With that said I still use a 22 inch screen for my main computer as it gets tough reading on the big screen when on the internet. You will need wireless keyboard and mouse to get the best benefit from sitting back on the couch while on the computer.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Screen size should be roughly 1/3 of the viewing distance. So if you sit 3 metres away from the screen, your screen size should be 1m. To use a 116cm properly, you need to be sitting almost 3.5 metres away from the screen, which in turn necessitates a wireless keyboard and mouse.

If the screen is 55" (139cm), then you need to be sitting 4.19 metres away.

Lococard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
so I'm thinking i would like a 55" 116cm LED LCD TV for Christmas :w00t: instead of a lump of coal. i want to use it as a huge **** off computer screen but i have been told by a half assed source that the quality of the LCD TV would be less than the LCD computer screen.
is this correct? any way around it kinda thing?

I actually use a 1080p 32" as my desktops main PC (Picture: http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3858/newdesk3.jpg)

A typical PC LCD is a higher resolution to your normal TV LCD. Meaning a PC LCD will have a crisper and better looking image over the TV.

You should be fine using a TV LCD for just internet browsing, word processing, emails etc.