Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Good is an Edit Tune

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
I have just fitted Pacemakers and a split 2.5 exhaust on my VZ 5.7.
I also have a MCAI which I got info for from this Forum , which helped my car no end. I recomend this mod unconditionally.

Since I have put on the pacemakers the car has lost a touch of torque. My next step is an Edit tune with MAF.
Since these tunes cost just under $1000 what I would like to know is are they worth it??
I am expecting 20 to 30kw rear wheel extra power and would go ahead if I get this.
Just want to know your experiences.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Most LS1's dyno in at around 190/195 rwkw, after a tune with a full zorst looka t around 230-235 rwkw.

So for around $28 per rwkw, i think it is a bargain :)
The car will become completley different and the first thing you will ask yourself is, why didnt i do this sooner?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
How good is a tune.............as good as the tuner!
AirStrike :air:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
AirStrike said:
How good is a tune.............as good as the tuner!
AirStrike :air:

On an LS1 these day's, tuner to tuner makes sweet f all difference. Maybe 1-2 rwkw? They coem into their own once you start doing internal mods though :D

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Even the competent backyard mechanic (yourself) can DIY, just with the right equipment anything is possible.

P.S. go Muffless, errr I mean Mafless :D, With the MAF your really restricted you can only suqeeze so much of out it. Mafless you won't have a problem thus squeezing every inch of power out of her as you can.

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
Very Interesting,
ShanghaiVZ Do it yourself?? What equipment do I need.

Must admit though I mainly work on old Chrysler Stuff (Sorry). Hemi 6 and the odd 360.

So is there hope for me to do it myself???
I am am bit worried that I may stuff up a 20K+ car.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
How competent are you? even I wasn't confident enough to DIY, got Dave at SAS to do mine I left it to the professionals. If I stuffed up gonna cost me bigtime, if something goes wrong with the tune, the tuner has to fix it. IMHO get the pro to do it on a dyno in real time.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
The school of thought is that HSV's have mafless why not get Mafless for your car. Well the truth is if you modify your car and get a tune then decide you want more power you will then have to go back pay for a re-tune which will end up being costly. MAFless will not give you that much difference anyhow. A lot of people are actually going back to MAF after going mafless and working out that it's realy not worth it. I also have 2.5" dual pacemakers and a MCAI and I push 207RWKW just from those mods only. I would say get a GTS MAF pipe and pannel filter and leave the rest alone. Unless your in the big bucks of supercharging it or something like that. If you want power go get some Pacemaker headers and open the cats and then look at cams or something else. I dunno if your gonna get 30RWKW out of edit alone.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VXWAGMAN said:
The school of thought is that HSV's have mafless why not get Mafless for your car. Well the truth is if you modify your car and get a tune then decide you want more power you will then have to go back pay for a re-tune which will end up being costly. MAFless will not give you that much difference anyhow. A lot of people are actually going back to MAF after going mafless and working out that it's realy not worth it. I also have 2.5" dual pacemakers and a MCAI and I push 207RWKW just from those mods only. I would say get a GTS MAF pipe and pannel filter and leave the rest alone. Unless your in the big bucks of supercharging it or something like that. If you want power go get some Pacemaker headers and open the cats and then look at cams or a LS1 edit or something else. An edit will do way more for your power etc.

Erm, he was asking how good an edit/tune is....hence why he asked if it was worth it........

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
I think I will get a MAF tune, with before and after dyno checks.
Since I already have Pace makers , Twin 2.5 and MCAI.

An other wierd thing I have noticed with my car (its an Auto) is that if you take off hard and the car changes into second, IT SEEMS TO BACK OFF A LITTLE then goes again. IS this Normal.

and a final Question Anyone recomend a tuner in ADELAIDE. talking to a Chap the other day he says . Kings Park Auto(or somthing like that).

VX WAGMAN you talk about GTS maf pipe, Someone has told me VZ already has the big MAF ??
I Hope So. he he he