Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Explain MAFless tune

Topcar

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what a "MAFless" tune is please?

Thanks in advance,
Topcar

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It is simply a tune that has no MAF(Mass Air Flow (Meter) , handy for when you are using an OTRCAI. Pick up around 10 rwkw depending on the hardness of the tune.

Topcar

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply minux. When you say "no MAF", do you mean the MAF sensor is disconnected for the tune or the vehicle has no such sensor fitted?

Topcar

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Topcar said:
Thanks for your reply minux. When you say "no MAF", do you mean the MAF sensor is disconnected for the tune or the vehicle has no such sensor fitted?

Topcar

It is completley removed, thus making the vehicle illegal technically speaking :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ringram said:
HSV 300KW GTS's come Mafless from the factory.

There were other mods wich made them ADR compliant though.

ringram

efilive evangalist
Reaction score
Website
www.efilive.eu
Members Ride
2007 HSV CLubsport R8 M6
Ive seen the tune, so I know there is no rocket science there. Im aware cam and heads are slightly different, though I wouldnt imagine too much else was changed. I would have thought a mafless tune would pass all emissions requirements. Unless one of those reqirements was that the vehicle cant be modified from stock, in which case any car with headers would fail.
Do you know what mods were required to be compliant?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ringram said:
Ive seen the tune, so I know there is no rocket science there. Im aware cam and heads are slightly different, though I wouldnt imagine too much else was changed. I would have thought a mafless tune would pass all emissions requirements. Unless one of those reqirements was that the vehicle cant be modified from stock, in which case any car with headers would fail.
Do you know what mods were required to be compliant?

Off the top of my head no. However any car with a MAF must have the MAF to be roadworthy and to pass emissions. Removing the move makes you unroadworthy and EPA will have a blast if they want to.

ringram

efilive evangalist
Reaction score
Website
www.efilive.eu
Members Ride
2007 HSV CLubsport R8 M6
Ok cool. Just gut the maf leave it in, but disconnected, or connected, but disabled in PCM. Nobody will be any the wiser.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
ringram said:
Ok cool. Just gut the maf leave it in, but disconnected, or connected, but disabled in PCM. Nobody will be any the wiser.
the reason for removing the Maf is because of the restriction it causes