Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Prep for Drag and Dyno

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
I'm headin to the strip next friday and then a Dyno day the next day with my VY SS Ute (Auto) and I was wondering if there was any simple things I can do to improve perfomance.
It had a service about 7,000k ago and I'm going to clean/replace the panel filter but is there anything else I should be having a look at?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Justin

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Do you still have the factory diff gears? as some 3.9's would help on the strip with the auto. Tyres? what will you be useing? If you had the spare cash some 90-10's in the front with stock fe2 in the rear would also be of great help. Maybe a new set of plugs also and run with at least half a tank of fuel at all times as the stock bucket inside the fuel tank doesnt like to get too low.
Hope thats some help.

Edit : dont forget to over fill your oil by 500mls also.
and check all other fluids

Last edited:

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
sweet thanks for the tips HRT666. Its still got the factory diffs, what do you mean 90-10's? Haven't heard of that term before:embarrass I 'm guessing your talking about the suspension, its got super low kings front and rear. I will be running 245/35/r19 street tyres all round.
Going to check the spark plugs and fluids now

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
why 25????

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
After all the posts in this thread though, isn't that the reason you go to the strip? to try things and see how they have an effect on your time? try it as it sits, have a list of modifications that you can humanly do at the track (tyre pressures, weight distribution, intake and exhaust mods) see how you go from there and when you go home, then you can change your diff gears and whatever to see what you get next time.
If you're serious about it, record what you can about when you run, air temp, humidity, track temp, weather situation (sunny, overcast)...if you were running slicks you would take the temp of those too after your tyre warmup.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yep will definately record all of that info. Thanks for the advice guys:thumbsup:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
if you have the turtle shell on, you could remove it, apparently you get a little bit more out of them, bout 4 extra kw iv been told, not much but every bit counts, due to the heat they hold in under them, let that heat out and the engine runs a tad cooler creating a tad of extra power.