Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Launch control

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
Hey guys, I've got VE SS 6sp. and just wonder if anyone knows if u can get launch control , something similar to the one that FG XR6T comes with, and what do u recon about it?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
lol, yeh it is, launch control is only needed for auto's or the powerglide gear box's i think that drag cars use.

unless he means traction control?

Deco28

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice V8
Launch control is th computer holds the cars revs at say 2500rpm till you want to go. It controls the start.

I don't know where t get it although, I'm pretty sure Holden can't fit it.

INVSBL

Lazyboy Productions
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY V8 BERLINA WAGON, 180SX TYPE X, LR DEFENDER 90
lol, its called ur right and left feet

:p

is all seriousness, u cant get anything more technical then traction control in ur manual for launching.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Launch control is something that is possible with an aftermarket ecu like Motec. I have never seen it work and I have only ever briefly read about it, but I do not know its effectiveness or costing. I would think that it is an unneccessary modification for 99% of street and street/strip cars, plus I wouldn't think it would be cost effective to require on even a highly modified street car. There are plenty of options to get better traction on launches like bigger softer stickier tyres, softer rear springs etc etc.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
isnt it the same as a torque staller thing?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
isnt it the same as a torque staller thing?

Hmmm, unsure if your talking about a torque converter. A torque converter is responsible for the stall speed of an auto gearbox. This doesn't have anything to do with traction control. Also, my VL has a transbrake on the auto gearbox. This transbrake locks 1st and reverse and allows engine revs to be raised without moving the vehicle until I release the transbrake button.

Both of these items do not have anything to do with traction control systems.

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
2010 corvette ZR1 is coming out with new launch control as an update, and apparently it will cut close to .5 of sec from 0-100.

How it works

This device combines the effort of an electronic-driven accelerator and a computer program in the car. The software drives the accelerator according to engine specifications to make the car accelerate smoothly and as fast as possible, avoiding spinning of the drive wheels, engine failure due to over-revving, and clutch and gearbox problems. This feature is only available at the start of the race, when the car is stopped in the starting grid. After the car is running at a certain speed, this computer program routine is disabled and everything is back to normal operation.

Reason for use

In high-performance racing vehicles, the driver has a very small threshold when it comes to acceleration. High power delivered by the engine to the gearbox and driven wheels cannot be easily managed even by the most experienced drivers.

Facing this issue, and with the growing development of electronics during the 1980s, led to the introduction of this type of software.

this is the best i could find: B&M Launch Control - ModYourCar.com - Car Accessories | Car Parts | Performance Parts | Aftermarket Parts

INVSBL

Lazyboy Productions
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY V8 BERLINA WAGON, 180SX TYPE X, LR DEFENDER 90
its another electronic tool used to save rich butt heads from looking like a tool.
sif learn how to control the power.