Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

twin turbo setup on ls1?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
been looking around the parts for sale areas and ebay and found some superchargers and more so turbo's, just curious and wondering what size turbo's would i need for a twin turbo set up to see any power gains?

i'v basically worked out the size cam i want which is for FI and will do head work at same time with bottom end down the track or same time depending.

iv seen a couple of t3-t4 turbo's on here and ebay with internal waistgates for around the $500-$900 mark, etc and they say there good for under 3 ltr but good for quick punchy power as a twin set up on 5ltr-6/6.2ltr engines, just curious to what size/s would be good with out having massive turbo's atm.

also seen some slightly larger turbos that require external waistgates.

i know this opens a whole can of worms to how much power, etc, but more want as an extra bit of induction atm and more on a budget so to speak as can do most of the install work myself, but don't have budget for a GENTT kit on top of cam install. Also this way so i can just upgrade turbos later.

cheers, Ben.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Screw cam, get GENTT kit!

Unless your good with welding and can make your own piping, I don't think your going to beat the price that GENTT can supply all the parts for.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
cheers GenReaper, yeh i know a few guys i work with on the tools that have put turbo kits on there v6 commodore's for around the $2,000-$3,000 all up including turbo they got of ebay and exhaust manifold done and cooler, that is minus tune, with no problems. so willing to give it a shot for the extra price of a turbo on the other side and have to do headers any way no matter which way i go, so can play around with the headers a bit.

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
If you have any kind of satisfaction in build quality, don't touch the GEN-TT kit. If you want to build your own kit for a stockish LS1, I'd suggest a pair of GT28 turbos. Don't exclude a decent single turbo kit too quickly though, they can be done much cheaper and the difference in spool speed isn't significant as you'd think. It is a V8 engine afterall, and you'll still have plenty of compression, so even off-boost it isn't going to be a dog.

Check out the single turbo kits from both ASE and GenRacing.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
sweet thanks for that, yeh the turbo's i was looking at are just a bit bigger than t28's, a couple of other people have said the GTR skyline twin turbo kits are good as people only replace them for a single.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
if you want to build it look at the vg30 turbo they are the biggest of the T3
or you can use the T28 but it needs to be the T2890 not the smaller nissan type
as said dont touch the gentt kit

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh i was looking at possibly 2x kkr 430 turbo's internally waistgated, not sure if there a t3 or what and not sure how much psi they can be run at, etc. found them on an ebay store as well for around the $500-550 mark each, says there good for 1.8-3.5 ltr engines as a single and 5ltr-6.2/3 ltrs as a twin turbo setup.

i think it said there a t4 flange on them so weather there a t4 or a bigger t3 i'm not sure.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
yeh i was looking at possibly 2x kkr 430 turbo's internally waistgated, not sure if there a t3 or what and not sure how much psi they can be run at, etc. found them on an ebay store as well for around the $500-550 mark each, says there good for 1.8-3.5 ltr engines as a single and 5ltr-6.2/3 ltrs as a twin turbo setup.

kkr are the same turbos used in the gentt kits
they where having troubles with seals leaking with them I would use the Nissan t3's they are garrett so you know they are good