Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] whipple 3.3 on ls1

gun32gtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss II
Hi all

I would try searching but my phone don't have a search option and I don't know why,so here goes..

I've just purchased a whipple 3.3 blower for vu ss Ute.it's a star kit so has all the upgraded pillows gilmour drive etc. I'm only going to wanting to run 9-10 psi as its stock motor that has been freshened up by previous owner.. I'm hoping to make 370-385rwkw. E85 if need be..

I've got ls1 heads that are decked 30thou some comp is 11.1.. so I'll be looking for some ls2 heads as an option.. thoughts?

Also what clutch have people used? Was looking at the. Rxt twin from McLeod? Anyone used one?

Also whT fuel system people recommend? So far 62lb injectors and walbro 460lph I've been looking at with some nice rails.. would thus be enough?

And what bonnet scoops do people recommend for vu ss that would fit the whipple under it

And my last question what cam be suited. I still want a niceish lope at idle so been looking at maybe 231 239 113 lsa??

I'm open to ideas and options

Regards gun32gtr

Reposted from the wrong section

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i have the 60lb inj and the walbro 460lph in my car at them moment and it was good for 600rwhp anything over and it was leaning out thus why i am getting all new gear but just so u have an idea of where u are at with that so up to 440odd rwkw is ok, also that pump can be a pain to fit because the stock is 38mm and it is 39mm encase it needs to fit into a bucket or something and also if u get too low in the pot it will suck more in than the pot can fill up with, if ur running 11-1 comp id be going e85 so its safer, i am using the Mantic twin place ceramatelic clutch 9000 series and it holds great and better pedal feel than factory, with a blower cam id prob go with more lsa 113 is ok but the lower u go the more boost u can waste usually a 114 or higher is good...

gun32gtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss II
Ok so so is there another pump that would suit e85 as well and be easier fit or u reckon just go with it and maybe a surge tank with 044??

Ive been looking at stock ls2 heads and putting springs and rockers in them or just getting some more stock ls1 heads and doing some work to them... I will only run 8-9. Psi with my heads that's for sure. If I get some others I'll prob keep the 12psi pulley in place and see how she holds up..

With e85 what is needed to run in ls1 just the pump and tune? Or is there a sensor to buy so u can run both 98 and e85 or is e85 only once you've swapped it in?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
stock LS2 243 heads will give you a compression ration of 10.5:1 where as 241 heads are 10.1:1
Though it does not seem like much, every little bit helps with boost. In the states a lot of blokes are getting the 317 truck motor heads which bolt straight on with LS9 head gaskets - gives a compression ration of about 9.2:1 which is the sweet spot for blown engines.

gun32gtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss II
stock LS2 243 heads will give you a compression ration of 10.5:1 where as 241 heads are 10.1:1
Though it does not seem like much, every little bit helps with boost. In the states a lot of blokes are getting the 317 truck motor heads which bolt straight on with LS9 head gaskets - gives a compression ration of about 9.2:1 which is the sweet spot for blown engines.

Would these heads be hard and expensive to get ? Seems like a good idea

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Probably have to import a set from the USA. Don't think they used the 317 heads (72cc) on anything in Australia. The good thing is they have the same cathedral intake ports so the stock LS1 instake or supercharged intake can be reused. The 241 heads are 65cc and the 243s are 62cc. You can see how the different combustion chamber volumes alter the static compression ratio of the motor. The blower will add dynamic compression.

I only know it is possible because I was briefly researching compression and supercharging.
If I was going to go down the lowered compression route, I'd pull my motor and put in forged internals with dished pistons.

gun32gtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss II
Probably have to import a set from the USA. Don't think they used the 307 heads on anything in Australia.

I only know it is possible because I was briefly researching compression and supercharging.
If I was going to go down the lowered compression route, I'd pull my motor and put in forged internals with dished pistons.

Yeah I was thinking in few years 383 stroker kit. but for now I thought heads be cheapt abd I need heads off to replace my lifters so yeah heads for now..

Importing might be my option

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the ve e38 ecu has the ability of flex fuel but im not sure if the ls1 ecu does as far as i know it dosnt, if u cant u will need to tune to 98 or e85, that walbro 460lph pump is good ( my main problem was the ve module was only designed for the 38mm pump) and yours might fit easier or just run a same as factory 38mm walbro 255lph from main tank into a serge tank with the 460lph in it or even a 044 or two and a return system, if u were going to do anything with heads id just modify your own so u get it right for the situation but there are alot of LS engine running 10.5-11 comp with a blower setup at around 10psi and e85 will make it safer... if its a fresh ls1 it should be ok at those power levels with a good tune even on 98 or p100... if your going to stroke it maze well go all the way 400+ since it costs bout the same...

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Just remember that to run 10.5-11 compression, you are missing out on a heap of power due to the significant amout of timing retardation required to safely run the motor without knock.

No one builds an engine specifically for boosted applications with a 10:1 or higher compression ration for a reason. Bolt on blowers give decent power improvements for most people so they don't bother with compression ratios.

gun32gtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss II
Yeah I guess be best to stroke 6l even like my mate is now. 403 cubes. I think I'll go with the 460 pump and hope it fits easy.. yeah I'm pretty sure the ls1 comp don't have flex fuel but surely someone has looked at making something to incorporate it by now. E85 is good gear so regardless I will go e85 as it's in my home town now.

I just think the lower the comp the better my engine will last cause I'm not sure how long it'll be before I stroke it