Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSx MAF Intake Pipes Catalogue

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I have been interested in how engine MAF pipes have changed throughout the LSX range. So I thought I'd catalogue then here.

The designs have varied for different reasons. Better flow, reduced intake noise, mafless operation and intake tuning (Helmholtz resonators).

Well begin with the factory stock MAF pipes.

LS1 5.7L
Holden VT Series 2 220kw - Holden VY Series 2 245kw
HSV VT Series 2 250kw to VY 260kw

hsv%20maf%20pipe%20pre%20vx2_zpswrkhamwu.jpg

The stock MAF pipe on original LS1's tapers down in diameter making it quite restrictive in the middle section.
Early LS1's had the Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) in the airbox lid. These were latter moved to the bottom of the air intake pipe.

LS1 C4B 5.7L
HSV (GTS) VT Series 2 to VY 300kw

genuine%20gts%20maf_zpszi9tumen.jpg

The original Mafless intake pipe. The smooth large diameter pipe helped the Calloway designed HSV C4B 300KW engine deliver air straight from its air box to its larger Throttle Body. A rubber accordian section replaces the area where the MAF sensor sits on all other LS1 engines.

LS1 5.7L
HSV VY Series 2 285kw

vy%20series%202%20maf_zps6jfcmw79.jpg

This MAF pipe removes most of the accordion rubber boot and the pipe gradually tapers up from the smaller MAF diameter to the larger throttle body diameter increasing air flow.

LS1 5.7L / LS2 6.0L
Holden VZ LS1 260kw
HSV LS2 6.0L Z series 298kw

hsv%20ls2_zpso6z62vcj.jpg

Due to the VZ LS1 moving to a larger less restrictive MAF sensor, Holden upgraded the Intake pipe to a larger diameter, smooth pipe design for increased air flow. It also features a PCV pipe fitting but deleted the IAT sensor from the intake pipe as this was now contained in the updated MAF sensor. This MAF pipe was retained for HSV's 6.0L LS2 engine.

L76 6.0L
Holden VZ 260kw

vz%20l76%20maf_zps9wn5deuk.jpg

Interesting now a complex resonator is added to the intake most likely for intake noise reduction. The enlarged volume in front of the throttle body may be for intake tuning. This would also help prevent reversion (air bouncing off the throttle body) going back through the MAF sensor. The VZ Commodore was Holden's first attempts at designing intake resonators adding them to the L76 and Alloytec V6 MAF pipes.

Last edited:

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ve - vf

L76 / L77 / L98 6.0L & LS3 6.2L
Holden VE / VF Commodore 260 - 270kw
HSV LS3 317kw - 325kw

ve%20ss%20maf_zpsnb2wgzu9.jpg

This is a very interesting MAF intake pipe design. Multiple Large volume resonators. These not only help with noise reduction, but almost certainly are responsible for intake tuning. The large volume chamber in front of the throttle body ensures a large body of air is available for improved cylinder filling at certain RPM's.

LS3 6.2L HSV SV 340kw

vf%20hsv%20ls3%20sv_zpsjcd6iqmc.jpg

This MAF pipe is from the LS3 Camaro. It features a smoother pipe with 3 smaller resonator chambers.

LS3 6.2L
Holden Commodore 304kw
vf2%20maf%20pipe_zpsqjyfmwf2.jpg

Notice the mechanical noise enhancer which channels intake noise to the cabin firewall. Also the elimination of the 2 acoustic chambers.

LS3 6.2L
HSV SV 340kw (Black Edition)

hsv%20vf2%20sv340%20ls3_zpsycikygm1.jpg

Notice again the addition of Holdens mechanical noise enhancer which channels intake noise to the cabin firewall.

LSA
HSV F-Series 6.2L Supercharged 400 - 435kw

vf%20hsv%20gts_zpsetqojmes.jpg

Large diameter pipe with accordion section to allow for engine flex.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
In the early days of MAF intake pipe design, performance upgrades headed towards pipes with large internal diameter, smooth internal walls with gentle bends from MAF/Airbox to Throttle body. These upgrades usually increased peak power output vs the small diameter pipes fitted from the factory.

But later research shows the addition of resonator chambers can not only decrease intake noise but increase power and torque at different RPMs as it can improve cylinder air filling and is also an important part in resonate tuning.

A very simplified explanation is that a large resonator chamber increased low down torque (due to better cylinder filling) whilst a smaller chamber helps with high end power (better air flow). Therefor later factory MAF pipes often have much science behind their often complex design.

For more information there is an interesting article on it here...

Soarer - The Intake Resonator

and here...

FLUID DYNAMIC STUDY OF INTAKE MANIFOLDS OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES IN PRESENCE OF ACOUSTIC RESONATORS

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
MAF Upgrades for early model LS1 engines

There is no doubt about it, the early Holden and HSV MAF intake pipe on the LS1 was a compromised design. It was a small diameter pipe with a large tapered accordion section that restricted airflow and caused it to become turbulent.

Therefor MAF Intake pipe upgrade is a simple performance mod for those people with Holden VT Series 2 - VY Series 2 and HSV VT Series 2 - VY Series 1 cars.
(There is a reason the HSV VT Series 2 GTS features a larger MAF intake pipe to achieve its 300kw output and HSV updated their pipe for the VY Series 2 285kw models)

ls1%20v%20gts%20maf%20pipe_zpsc63o5mtl.jpg

As you can see, the original LS1 MAF intake pipe is very restricted in size and design vs the aftermarket GTS 300kw design.

Here are the most common upgrade options people use to upgrade their MAF intake pipes.

- Genuine HSV GTS 300kw Intake Pipe (Mafless Only)
- Genuine HSV VY Series 2 Intake Pipe (MAF)
- Genuine Holden VZ Intake Pipe (MAF, requires moving IAT sensor and blocking PCV input)
- Aftermarket HSV GTS 300kw Pipe (MAF and Mafless)
- Rubber 4 inch Pipe (Yella Terra & VCM for both MAF and Mafless)

vz%20v%20yella%20v%20gts_zpsgobvbjez.jpg

Yella Terra with MAF gasket(Left), VZ with PCV Blank (Middle) and Aftermarket GTS with MAF Rubber (Right)

vy2%20Maf_pipe_zpshwxxorhl.jpg

HSV VY 285kw MAF Intake Pipe

Last edited:

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
For my Holden VX Commodore SS Series 2 I originally had the AFTERMARKET GTS 300KW pipe which worked well for many years, but it eventually sprung an air leak around the throttle body causing a high idle. I put this down to the fact that the pipe doesn't have a rubber seal at the throttle body and relies on the plastic of the pipe being a good fit. Over time (10 years) the fit became worn.

I upgraded my stock LS1 MAF to the larger DELPHI AF10056 (GM Part No. 19207203) and now use the standard VZ MAF pipe. I got a rubber grommet and a clamp for a few dollars from an auto store to block the PCV input.

vx%20with%20vz%20maf%20pipe_zps4kequdis.jpg

(VX LS1 with VZ MAF intake pipe)

My car is only lightly modified. Full exhaust, 2 hole MCAI and tune.

I went the VZ option because I like that it seals well and that the accordion section allows some engine flex. It also works well because my new MAF contains the IAT sensor so I didn't need to block the IAT hole in other MAF pipes.

The car now runs like a dream.

Last edited:

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yella Terra Intake Pipe with MAF

yella%20terra%20maf_zpswqjbh9lt.jpg

Yella Terra Intake Pipe MAFLESS

yella%20terra%20mafless_zpsmbiycim2.jpg

Yella Terra's design requires a gasket (which is supplied) to fit the 4 inch internal diameter pipe to the smaller MAF sensor. It also comes with a small hole pre-drilled on the pipe for the IAT sensor.
Be aware, if you order this pipe for use on cars with MAF sensors you will need to cut the pipe to the right length and angle. Measure twice and cut once!

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Here is the discontinued Conrod Motorsport (CMS) Adrenalin MAF pipe in carbon fiber.

cmscarbon_zpsuptqt2rj.jpg

Installed.

cmscarbon_installed_zpsfmfilgfz.jpg

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
You can also have a go at making your own home made MAF intake pipe using off the shelf Silicon hoses, adapters, alloy tube etc.

silicon%20pipe_zpssrfuhkkk.jpg

Some people also try to insulate their MAF pipes to prevent heat soak.

insulated%20MAF%202_zpsbeloren3.jpg

insulated%20MAF_zpsp4yhqikp.jpg

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good info, thanks.
I recently did some resonance tuning mods to my cammed L77 to make it sound good and go better. I started with off the shelf bolt-ons and gradually dialled them in to suit the engine and my driving. This was induction and exhaust mainly, and I am happy with a decent reward for little effort.
First gutted its induction baffles in the main chamber at the third harmonic, installed radius bars, and ported the throttle body. The goal was to raise induction velocity and introduce tumble through the runners (via RCR Racing RamAir) aka "rod mod".
Then increased the MAF tube dia to 4", wired in an LS7 MAF, installed 1" 12:1 honeycomb air straightener, in an OTR cai with six litre plenum box at the location of the second harmonic (of peak RPM). Fitted a 5" air dam fed from lower grille.
Tuned closer to ideal for me, balanced TQ and HP, greater induction velocity and dependable reporting.