Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam ok for boost?

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I have a 2005 VZ SSZ LS1 with the CNC Higgins Heads and the following cam:

Camtech Cam
CT2871 49919A/49907A-112
224˚ 228˚ .580" .591" 112˚ LSA

The car is making 294rwkw and I want to make some more power. I'm thinking about going down the SC route but I'm worried that with this cam it isn't going to be able to make boost properly. I've been told that while it's probably not going to be "ideal" it will also have no problems creating boost. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on cams as despite my reading and research they still confuse me a fair bit. I do know that most people recommend at least a 113-115 or higher LSA for boost and that the exhaust duration etc also contribute to how well it will go and how much boost and power it will make (or in this case what I'm worried about possibly lose).

So the question is while this cam may not be ideal for making optimum power, is it going to cause major issues and ultimately not be worthwhile doing at all?

Thanks in advance.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that cam will be fine for boost, it may bleed out a little air down low but the blower will be forcing it in so u will hardly notice it, my cam isn't ment to make power till 2700rpm but with the blower it pulls like a train from 1500rpm and dosnt loose boost anywhere