Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1/gen3 strocker kits????????

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Hi all,

just wandering out of general interest what strocker kits are out there and how much they cost for an ls1/gen3 and for forged rods, pistons etc.

which stroker kits can you get with minimal machine work to the block, i.e, like a touch up of the bores to mild machining and rough costs?
and can you run standard sump or have to get modified sump and pickup?

which stroker kits require a bit of machine work?

like 5.7, 6 and 6.2 liter strocker kits through to the 427.

just out of curiosity as my car has gudgeon pin noise and piston slap, minor at the moment, but just want to know for if it gets really bad and have to rebuild as if have to will go the go fast bits.

i know this probably opens up a big can of questions.... like comp ratios etc, as would want to run s/c later and do cam at same time as bottom end.

thanks, Ben.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
You can buy a built short motor for well under 10 grand from a premier engine builder.(I think it was around $7000,) Since it isnt a forum sponsor I wont name them but this is the way I would go.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
strocker kits bahahahahah!!!
I think C.O.M.E do stroker kits mate, give em a call:thumbsup:
also have a look through the street commo mags and street machine mags, plenty of companies in there to!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
cool, thanks for that yeh might give come a ring and find out, just want to know for if mine gets really bad and if not with in the next 12 months will get it anyway.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
starting from $3800 for a 383ci. Seems cheap. Would that be supply only or fitted?

Imagine a 440ci with a 240+ cam WOW!!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh well i'd be looking at doing as much as i can myself being in the trade, but don't work on holdens or modified performance cars so not sure on prices and whats out there, would send for machining and what i can't do, then fit the pistons, crank, rods, cam, etc myself as i'd have the car of the road and by a cheap run about or another 4wd as a daily so could take my time and do it properly.

yeh a 440 ci with cam would be a beast, imagine the v8 burble from that on idle then wide open throttle :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
id say those packages are non fitted, say another 500 or so fitted, which would still be a good price, the 427 would be good at the same price as the 383 and 408 kits, but the 408 and 427 say must use ls7 block or 4.00" bore block(408), 4.125" bore block(427), could you use the gen3 block for either of these?

what would a 408 strocker be like or better the 383 or jump to 427?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
cpbait, it's spelt 'stroker' not 'strocker' :thumbsup:

Those prices i beleive are supply only. I'm not suyre if u can use the ls1 block and bore it out, does anyone know? I would say it would cost a lot more than $500 fitted, as the whole engine would have to removed and stripped down, and then it would need a tune. It's costing me a litte under 2k labour alone (fitment and tune) for my H+C package, so no doubt the stroker kit would cost 2-3k i'd say fitted + tuned.

Just go for the 440ci kit =)

Edit: Okay i think you can bore the LS1 a bit but not to 4". Also found this that suggests you shouldnt do it at all...
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1508/bringing_a_geniii_ls1_stroker_back_to_life.aspx -> QUOTE "This GM Gen III aluminum LS1 block had cast-in-place liners for a stock bore of 3.898" Taking the bore out to a 3.910" would compromise the strength of the cylinder walls and, in all probability cause them to deform under high cylinder pressure, prevalent in this boosted application. Also, the column strength of the cylinder and walls to deck may yield under applications higher than 550 flywheel horsepower."

Last edited:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
oh yeh hehe thanks adamc11 stroker :D
yeh i'd strip the engine down my self and then strip the block down myself and give them the bare block (i had that in my head when i said $500ish, alot more if they had to strip it down), then put the cam, lifters, heads (after some work to them), etc back on myself and then take it down for the run in and engine tune on there dyno then fit back into vehicle.
yeh they charge $1650 for run in and tune for the engine only not including forced induction on the motor, thats 2 days they say including a number of oil and filter changes in that time, a couple of the bigger strocker kits on come's website they say to use the 6ltr block and ls7 for the 440ci.