Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ok So I finally got my act together on Saturday and spent some time putting the CAI from Mace in.

Dead easy installation, as usual I didn't read the instructions. If Greg had included an Allen key, the kit could have been straight from IKEA.

Things I learned from the job - Install the steel Pipe into the Pod filter first it's easiest that way. It's worth dropping the MAf off and giving it a quick blow clean.

VT Commodores - we have it easy when it comes to making this box really perform. Between the radiator support Panel and the radiator itself is a plastic panel thats used as a spacer, and to locate the lower aircon gas return line. This panel covers a vent in the support panel that is about 4 inches long by an inch and a half wide. This vent if it's opened allows air to flow directly from in front of the radiator, to the head light surround area, where the CAI picks up from.

Drop off the hoses from the radiator and drain your coolant. Lift the clips in the top of the radiator support panel. Lift out the radiator. Pull out the plastic panel. Cut the top half off, leaving bottom hose guide. Reverse process and vent is now open.

If you have aircon (99% of us) the flow is obscured in part by the condensor.

Tips and tricks - I used a nikko pen and marked the outline of the box on the panels around it. Then took the box out and put a strip of foam cushion tape on the marks. A little better sealing and a vit of vibration damping. I also sealed up the slots in the bends of thebox with some gaffa tape.

The hole in the box for the 3" Diameter steel pod mount is a little oversize. I cut a piece of ice cream container lid out, cut a 3" dia hole in it (used mount pipe as a guide) slid it over the pipe, mounted everything up, then gaffa taped it in place to limit air flow loss. Theoretically speaking, this is not necessary, as there is more air going into the box than the engine can use, I'm just a freak for fiddling with things.

Sounds good, it's actually quieter than what I had before which was a bare pod in the bay. I can hear the exhaust burble over the intake hiss now with the window down. Cool.

Is there any effect yet on performance or economy ? Yes and No - Haven't run any times, and have been playing with chipsets so nothing specific. When I have something bankable I'll post it up. So do I have any non bankable feelings I want to post about it ? Yes. I think the torque curve is a little broader. I notice when I sink the slipper from low speed that the nose comes up - and stays up. Before the nose would come up then ease off a little when the torque converter locked up and stopped multplying torque. That sort of dead spot between about 1800 and 3500 RPM where not much happened seems a bit less apparent. Do NOT assume that this was all the doings of the CAI though, I'm playing with other bits and pieces as well.

All in all, this is a damn neat install, dead simple, without adding complexity over the serpentine belt system (which I don't like - I had to change a serpentine on the side of the road once.....). Theres plenty of flexibility in the Intake hose extensions, the Pod does it's job, and I'm convinced that theres a heap of air hitting the box when your moving.

Have fun.

Andrew

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I was on a time limit so I didn't take any during. Will put up a couple of afters.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Im at work, so don't ask me to take the lid off. maybe on the weekend :)

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,938
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,683
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3,038
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,862

MACE

Reaction score
Once again thanks for taking the time out to writeup a very informative review :yeah:

I like how you’ve gone about tweaking the product to your requirements to make an even better installation, which we certainly encourage with all of our products :)

On this note if you have a quick look at the fitting instructions you may consider doing things differently in this regard

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/CAI_VTVY_V6_INSTALLATION.pdf

All in all another top effort :thumbsup:

Cheers
Steve

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
MACE cold air boxes are endorsed by me for use with ANY Raptor Supercharger sytem on a Commodore VS - VY

If you are a Raptor owner and reading this then be sure to tell Steve specifically that you have a R system and want a cold air system to suit, he knows the deal!

Customers who have them already report a HUGE improvement in low end engine response

MACE

Reaction score
MACE cold air boxes are endorsed by me for use with ANY Raptor Supercharger sytem on a Commodore VS - VY

If you are a Raptor owner and reading this then be sure to tell Steve specifically that you have a R system and want a cold air system to suit, he knows the deal!

Customers who have them already report a HUGE improvement in low end engine response

We've come up with a prototype box to suit the VT-VY Raptor R kits, of which we might manufacture if we get enough interest for people :) Otherwise you can modify our standard VT-VY box to fit. The earlier VN-VS boxes fit without any mods to the box :)

Cheers
Steve

hail storm

Reaction score
We've come up with a prototype box to suit the VT-VY Raptor R kits, of which we might manufacture if we get enough interest for people :) Otherwise you can modify our standard VT-VY box to fit. The earlier VN-VS boxes fit without any mods to the box :)

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve.
What sort of $$$ are we looking at for a VY Raptor box?

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Steve.
What sort of $$$ are we looking at for a VY Raptor box?

If we get 10 people after the box we'll be able to make them and sell them for $250. Otherwise you have to modify our normal VT-VY box to suit.

Cheers
Steve

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive

Cheers
Steve

I have VS Ecotec with a Raptor R Blower installed and the MACE CAI too. You are right in the fact that the CAI did not NEED any modifying to fit it, but i did need to alter the intake pipe slightly to make it fit in conjunction with it.

I believe that other forum members also neeeded to make minor alterations to the piepwork, but these were very minimum and cost effective.

That said however, i did slightly altered my CAI so it would be neat and easy to alter the Raptor Intake pipework. The MAF meter is now situated flush against the CAI and runs into the box, with the Pod attaching directly to the MAF inside, making it neat, and much easier to make the alterations to the Raptor Intake Pipe to suit it.

Attachments

• Mace CAI to suit Raptor R.jpg
    Mace CAI to suit Raptor R.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,646