Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just a few queries.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hey Steve,

I'm looking at getting the 12mm Spacer and the 25mm Insulator and the Cold air intake, and possibly (maybe later on) the rockers.

I've had little work done to my car (pacemakers + 2.5 exhaust with hotdog + rear resi).

It's currently at 116RWKW as I had a cheap dyno and was curious. The full exhaust did 7rwkw ontop of what it was before it (109.?).

I've looked around at what these individual products add to power, but i wanted to know if you would have a fairly sure idea on what information I've given you, with them 3 parts combined, and then the power also when i stick rockers on (1.98:1).

If you could let me know that would be awesome!

Also, is there a bulk postage price or bulk discounting or anything on parts?

Do you also have pickup? If so where are you located in Melbourne?

Sorry for all the enquires, but better to clarify all at once rather then in splats.

Thanks,
Kyle.

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

"I've had little work done to my car (pacemakers + 2.5 exhaust with hotdog + rear resi).
It's currently at 116RWKW as I had a cheap dyno and was curious. The full exhaust did 7rwkw ontop of what it was before it (109.?)."

That is within the normal range of where i would expect a stock engine with the above mentioned mods to be, in fact i would say that the engine must be fairly healthy. Different mods effect the engine in different ways, your full exhaust system for example will benefit the high rpm range of the engine but may possibly loose a little low rpm performance.

"I'm looking at getting the 12mm Spacer and the 25mm Insulator and the Cold air intake",
These items will help with the low RPM performance of the engine as well as fuel economy.

"I've looked around at what these individual products add to power, but i wanted to know if you would have a fairly sure idea on what information I've given you, with them 3 parts combined, and then the power also when i stick rockers on (1.98:1)."
Looking at these part (the 25mm manifold insulator/12mm plenum spacer) we have proven gains of 10-12% in torque right from idle, what this translated to in real world terms is a engine that pulls harder right from idle which is perfect for a daily driven car. The spacers combined with our cold air intake also help to keep the intake charge cooler (I think Porsche worked out that for every 10 degrees you can drop your intake temps you increase power by 1%) which means improved torque/power and increased fuel economy.

I have the 12mm manifold insulator (got it before we produced the 25mm item),12 mm plenum spacer and Cold air intake on my missus VS and i can say for certain that the gains are noticeable from personal experience.

"and possibly (maybe later on) the rockers."
The High ratio rockers are our best "bang for buck" bolt on mod, no other bolt on mod that we sell produces the same gains in power for money spend and effort to fit. These rockers give gains from 16-26kw, now the reason that we give a range rather then a exact number is simply because no 2 engines are alike, not even 2 engines of the same assembly line from the factory let alone taking into consideration things like mileage/service history and any other mods that may have been done. With your existing mods and those that you intend to do i am quiet confident that you can expect power gains from the rockers in the upper range given.

"Also, is there a bulk postage price or bulk discounting or anything on parts? Do you also have pickup? If so where are you located in Melbourne?"
We can certainly do you a deal if you purchased multiple items from us in one go and we would be happy for you to collect them. We are located in the Lalor, the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

"Sorry for all the enquires, but better to clarify all at once rather then in splats."
Not a problem, if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Bart

Last edited:

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Thanks Bart, sorry I thought only Steve worked on this account.

My engine is pretty healthy for something with 195,000ks, but i do service it every 5000k's.

I'll probably get it all at once, I know rockers is the best out of the lost but ofcourse that also includes the price aswell :p.

Just a quick one, but have you ever tried your CAI against the S/C one for example this:
SS Inductions Holden VY V6 & S/C Growler Cold Air Kit (eBay item 220740475506 end time 16-Jul-11 13:18:20 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Do you know if they work the same with the same effects? I mean obviously the enclosure is different, but I just wanted to know if you went one on one with one for results.

Thanks.

Edit: I've been thinking for a while instead of everything I've been going about, I'm thinking of getting a Cam (fitting by myself/mates) and do all the bolt ons after (except rockers, but we'll see what cam we can get to suit what).

What would you recommend? Which cam? I like the 216°/216° at .050" Stage 2 kit, nice lumpy idle I'm looking for.
But what else would I need? It recommends valve springs + pushrods (which I'll do), but does it need a tune? Anything else need to be changed besides all the gaskets when i re-do it all?

I've looked at the cam that suits 1.98:1 rockers, but it doesn't show what else you will need, what revs it goes up to/changes, if it needs a higher torque converter etc.

I don't know too much about cams, so I need to know everything that I would NEED to do, to be a safe change and be properly effective, aswell as reliable.

Also pricing on the proper option(s) would be great, including all I need besides gaskets.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
“Thanks Bart, sorry I thought only Steve worked on this account.

My engine is pretty healthy for something with 195,000ks, but i do service it every 5000k's.”

All good :)

“I'll probably get it all at once, I know rockers is the best out of the lost but ofcourse that also includes the price aswell :p.”
Depends on what your after I guess.

“Just a quick one, but have you ever tried your CAI against the S/C one for example this:
SS Inductions Holden VY V6 & S/C Growler Cold Air Kit (eBay item 220740475506 end time 16-Jul-11 13:18:20 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Do you know if they work the same with the same effects? I mean obviously the enclosure is different, but I just wanted to know if you went one on one with one for results.”

To be never done back to back tests between the two, I don’t think there would be a huger difference between the two. In the case of a VZ alloytec, I’ve had customer swap their SS item for one our kits and reported that it felt better. I haven’t personally verified this though

“Edit: I've been thinking for a while instead of everything I've been going about, I'm thinking of getting a Cam (fitting by myself/mates) and do all the bolt ons after (except rockers, but we'll see what cam we can get to suit what).”
If you can do the work yourselves then it will help bring the price down considerably. The only other big expense then will be the custom tune.

“What would you recommend? Which cam? I like the 216°/216° at .050" Stage 2 kit, nice lumpy idle I'm looking for.
But what else would I need? It recommends valve springs + pushrods (which I'll do), but does it need a tune? Anything else need to be changed besides all the gaskets when i re-do it all?”

That cam will work well. Besides what you’ve mentioned I would highly recommend running a Rollmaster double row timing chain set and retainers to suit the springs.

“I've looked at the cam that suits 1.98:1 rockers, but it doesn't show what else you will need, what revs it goes up to/changes, if it needs a higher torque converter etc.”
Nothing else is needed to run these on a VS-VX commodore. However if you plan on running these on a VY then you’ll need to clean up the casting flash around the pushrod area.

“I don't know too much about cams, so I need to know everything that I would NEED to do, to be a safe change and be properly effective, aswell as reliable.”
Sounds like a smart plan to me

“Also pricing on the proper option(s) would be great, including all I need besides gaskets.”

Let us know exactly what your after and we’ll work something out

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Alright I think I know what option I'll go with when tax swings around.

As i stated above, it says it recommends valve spring upgrade etc with the COMP cams.

Pushing that all aside, I've set my mind on 1.9:1 rocker (save fiddling with the head) and with the Crow Cams suitable for the high ratio rockers.

Do I still need valve springs, retainers and the double row timing chain? If yes do you sell all these parts (I know you sell the valve springs, but not sure on the rest).

That's what I'll be sticking too, if I can figure out a perfect figure to work on, for everything i need to pull it out and patch it back up besides gaskets.

Thanks guys, you're doing a good job!

EDIT: Found the valve retainers and the double row timing chain on there.

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
"Alright I think I know what option I'll go with when tax swings around.

As i stated above, it says it recommends valve spring upgrade etc with the COMP cams.

Pushing that all aside, I've set my mind on 1.9:1 rocker (save fiddling with the head) and with the Crow Cams suitable for the high ratio rockers.

Do I still need valve springs, retainers and the double row timing chain? If yes do you sell all these parts (I know you sell the valve springs, but not sure on the rest)"

I would certainly recommend these with your proposed setup. To be honest though, if your going to the trouble of a cam swap, I would stick with a Comp cam and run your factory rockers.

“That's what I'll be sticking too, if I can figure out a perfect figure to work on, for everything i need to pull it out and patch it back up besides gaskets.

Thanks guys, you're doing a good job!

EDIT: Found the valve retainers and the double row timing chain on there.”

Let us know if you want to go down the Crow path or Comp path

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
What's the benefit of going standard rockers with the Comp cam over the higher ratio with the crow cam?

I'm mainly looking @ the COMP one.

EDIT: Also, while looking at this, I realised I would need as above:
Double row timing chain
Push rods(?)
105lb springs

What does it mean by this though (Raising shift points to 6500 RPM, rev limit to 7000 RPM, and gears/converter are all recommended. "

Torque convertor? If so to what RPM. I'm not sure what it means by gears are recommended though :S

Lastly, do you know who and how much a tune for the VY would be? Everytime I add something like CAI, Spacers, etc does the tune need to be modified? Will it be alot more?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MACE

Reaction score
What's the benefit of going standard rockers with the Comp cam over the higher ratio with the crow cam?

I'm mainly looking @ the COMP one.

Double row timing chain
Push rods(?)
105lb springs

What does it mean by this though (Raising shift points to 6500 RPM, rev limit to 7000 RPM, and gears/converter are all recommended. "

Torque convertor? If so to what RPM. I'm not sure what it means by gears are recommended though :S

Lastly, do you know who and how much a tune for the VY would be? Everytime I add something like CAI, Spacers, etc does the tune need to be modified? Will it be alot more?

Thanks.

“What's the benefit of going standard rockers with the Comp cam over the higher ratio with the crow cam?”

Cost, it will be a cheaper option, yielding similar results.

"I'm mainly looking @ the COMP one.

Double row timing chain
Push rods(?)
105lb springs

Factory pushrods are fine. In regards to things like a converter, and diff gears they can be done at a later stage. If you were to replace these then you would want to go a 2800 converter and a set of 3.7:1 diff gears.

If you don’t have any intention of doing these then I would go with the S1 comp cam.

“Lastly, do you know who and how much a tune for the VY would be?”
Going by you number plates your in Melbourne. If so then your in luck as tune can be done at a extremely good price (free ?) :D Even if you need a hand with the cam install might be able to work something out with that as well. The main reason is that we’re looking for a car similar to yours to be able to develop mail order tunes to suit these cams on VX-VY’s which we currently don’t have :(

“Everytime I add something like CAI, Spacers, etc does the tune need to be modified?”
No as the computer has enough smarts to take these mods onboard. Cam on the other hand does need a tune

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Ah I get ya by gears now. LSD + gears won't be happening for a while, but maybe in the longer run.. But i was going for the 3.7's

Torque convertor won't be too hard to take off the trans and change it, depending on the cost of one I might aswell do it all in one.

My limit ATM is about $1800 Cam + items + tune (i'll prob have to throw more in though unless we figure something out with the tune!)

I'm about 50/50 on this at the moment, as I need to make sure of funds, make sure I've got every part 100% that I need to change, but I've worked out with a friend and he will help me install it, just will be over a two-day weekend to make sure it's done properly.

I'd be willing for you guys to use my car for test and whatnot for mail-order tunes, even if I paid for the tune. But ofcourse I'd prefer not too haha! (more left over cash = CAI, Spacers, etc)

I don't think we will need help with the cam install, but what exactly would you be offering for what price? Only reason I'm doing Manual labour to be cheaper and afford more stuff.

Let me know, here or via PM, what we can do for what prices all together including everything you can supply, and everything else I would need, and I'll work it out. Would be Mint Steve.

Thanks alot :)

MACE

Reaction score
“Ah I get ya by gears now. LSD + gears won't be happening for a while, but maybe in the longer run.. But i was going for the 3.7's”
Ah Good

“Torque convertor won't be too hard to take off the trans and change it, depending on the cost of one I might aswell do it all in one.”
Something to consider for sure

“My limit ATM is about $1800 Cam + items + tune (i'll prob have to throw more in though unless we figure something out with the tune!)”
You won’t need to spend that much :)

“I don't think we will need help with the cam install, but what exactly would you be offering for what price? Only reason I'm doing Manual labour to be cheaper and afford more stuff.”
If you guys can do it yourselves it will be a great experience. If you still get stuck let us know and I might be able to pull a couple of strings

“Let me know, here or via PM, what we can do for what prices all together including everything you can supply, and everything else I would need, and I'll work it out. Would be Mint Steve.”
Will do :)

Cheers,
Steve