Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12mm or 25mm spacer for vz

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What is the best manifold insulator spacer to go on a VZ alloytech. 12mm or 25mm, what would the difference be.

Only done the 2 hole mod so far, don't plan to change this, I like the idea of a stock paper filter, cheap and won't clog up or dirty the MAF.

Future Plans are full twin 2.25in exhaust with extractors and cats. 3.45 diff gears and tune. If there are any other mods you can suggest to.

cams, CPR6 or forced induction are not on the cards at all for this car.

So what would be the best insulator to go.

Cheers Luke.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What is the best manifold insulator spacer to go on a VZ alloytech. 12mm or 25mm, what would the difference be.

Only done the 2 hole mod so far, don't plan to change this, I like the idea of a stock paper filter, cheap and won't clog up or dirty the MAF.

Future Plans are full twin 2.25in exhaust with extractors and cats. 3.45 diff gears and tune. If there are any other mods you can suggest to.

cams, CPR6 or forced induction are not on the cards at all for this car.

So what would be the best insulator to go.

Cheers Luke.

Hey Luke , for the VZ , I think only the 12mm spacer is available , you'll get a cooler intake charge , which should equate to a bit more power , check out Mace Engineerings site , who are a member and sponsor here .
Cheers 665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Correct, this will cool the intake manifold alittle, but not to the levels some people assume. The ambient temp is a big factor.

What you WILL feel though is an increase in your lower rpm range. The 12mm spacer increases the runner length, which is good for lower end power. The opposite can be said for shorter runners.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If they are like 25mm ones for the Ecotec , they work better on a forced induction set up , as on a N/A they loose some throttle response , in regards to keeping the intake cooler , absolutely ambient temps play a part , but even with just a Mace CAI , intake on my SV6 stays cool most of the time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Jakevz

Reaction score
I Just bought the 25mm insulator for my VZ, Very curious to see the difference it makes!

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
So.... *jakevz* How did they go?? I've got the 25mm spacers and wen I put them in I changed my spark plugs (was around 110,000k's so needed doin soon anyway) and already had a mace pod box installed and I noticed some better power around the 2000-2800k mark and now can drive my ute for like 1.5 hours or so turn it off, pop the bonnet, hop out and can not only touch the manifold I can leave my hands on it for pretty much ever lol some days it gets hotter don't get me wrong but could NEVA touch it before the 25mm spacers were installed :) unless it was a short drive etc... just my 2 cents, hope it helps some1, thanks again mace! still loving ur products!

Last edited:

Jakevz

Reaction score
Forgot i posted in this ! Hahah, They're awesome. I noticed alot more go. Planting my foot off the line is awesome now, i feel like it actually goes somewhere.
The manifold also stays really cool, don't have a problem with touching it after a long drive.
Loving it.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Sorry for the late reply.

We would recommend the 25MM over the 12MM on the Alloytec specifically in regards to greater torque gains down low, roughly another 3-4%. You will not be able to fit your standard engine covers back on with the larger manifold insulators either. With the 25MM a slight decrease in top end power may result. However this is well worth it when you consider the added benefits of going with a larger spacer. As far as throttle lag is concerned there will not be a problem with either the 12MM or 25MM.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards

Allen

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I just bought some 12mm ones, wish I had of read the previous post first, just have to find time to install and see how it performs.

Just put a twin 2.25in cat back exhaust and SS inductions growler kit on this morning, hoping this combination should make it go a bit better.