Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
id have to take a look at the binary file of 1 to be 100% certain, but i'd imagine they would be the same if it's the same series/model.

Technically the modules transmit on multiple can ID's, but the 1's i mentioned before are specifically used for the "state of health monitoring".
On the E38/T43 & even the later T87A (10 speeds) they have a table for what sending device is sending the relevant ID, but the E40/T42 does not have this table & i went looking! I took a guess on the E40 based on what it was taking in from another table & 2F0 was not being "ingested".

heres an example of 12609099 vs a 2010/2011 12639270 ecu (right).
SOHM.PNG

The 12609099 tcm setting above is also not stock, that's 1 i need to test.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wish we had more of this sort of content on the forum. It is super interesting.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
There is another forum a few of us go into more in depth detail on this stuff. I'm certainly not going to claim to be the originator of a lot this information. Couple guys posted clues or mentioned something they were looking into & I thought. I wonder if that will help me doing this conversion...

It went from there.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
My friend in the States found out something when he built his S10 with the 3.6 and 6L50. He uses an E67 with a 2009 Cadillac CTS operating system. E67s and E38 have a lot of software similarities.

There is a memory address that is set in the OS to tell it what kind of transmission to look for. He found out that there's about a dozen values you can set, but the right hex value tells it to look for a 6L80. He had to pull the OS off the ECU into a .bin file, change the value manually, update the checksum and load it back up, but it got his trans talking to the ECU. I suspect the value tells the ECU which CAN IDs to look for messages on, in this case from a T43 and not whatever controls a 5L40.

Last edited:

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
yeah, even going back to the E40 code is similar to came afterwards. Biggest difference was processor type.

in the ecu there are ton of switches (options), & a there is a value for transmission type, but it's generally noted as just a number for a type or transmission. I'd be curious to know more of what he flipped because I've not seen anything like what your describing, at least nothing as such mentioned in the calibration definition I have.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
the e38 ecu has oil temp sensor input so will only work if the sensor is fitted and wired in, oil temp sensor is tied in with the oil level sensor, also not sure why anyone would want fpcm in reality it doesn't do anything to help fuelling only benefit is they have fuel pressure sensor
I have an oil temp sensor wired in on my GTO and the one time I threw an E38 on it with a VE OS, I got readings. But because I couldn't security link it and the ABS was freaked out I didn't leave it in.

As far as the FPCM, I tuner friend of mine over here got me into the idea of using one. He uses a large aftermarket fuel pump and massive fuel injectors on a blower build in a GTO. He programmed it so at low revs and low load the pump is only producing 3 bar of pressure so the ECU can maintain the right air/fuel ratio. Then when it needs the fuel it cranks the pressure up to 4 bar. I think it's a good idea and having it integrated with the ECU is better than having separate controllers that don't talk to each other.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
im more of a fan of simple fuel systems, even the one i have now with 2 pumps which is one all the time and second triggered with boost i dont like as its the worse thing if it fails and i wont know because it takes boost to trigger it so im in boost when/if it fails, if u have decent injectors just run pressure low 40psi and u can do the whole range, im currently at the IMO limit with 1500cc inj at 40psi so i can idle on petrol and also support boost on ethanol, id rather have larger injectors to suit ur engine (aim for 70-80% duty) and then use low pressure first and if need be increase to suit, also sounds like u may be better with a mechanical reg so it raises with boost to suit and lowers with vacuum so the delta stays the same

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
I use a pwm controlled setup in a few of my cars, doesn't use a pressure sensor for feedback. just uses the map signal to control voltage.

I still run a base 60psi on the reg, but the pumps will only run at 9v and then it ramps it up manifold pressure goes up.

but the simple switching of the 2nd pump on is better then running them both at the same time, as I've found that the fuel will boil in the tank even when full on a hot day, that it leaks past the fuel cap & the tank actually expands pushing on the tailshaft diff donut.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use a pwm controlled setup in a few of my cars, doesn't use a pressure sensor for feedback. just uses the map signal to control voltage.

I still run a base 60psi on the reg, but the pumps will only run at 9v and then it ramps it up manifold pressure goes up.

but the simple switching of the 2nd pump on is better then running them both at the same time, as I've found that the fuel will boil in the tank even when full on a hot day, that it leaks past the fuel cap & the tank actually expands pushing on the tailshaft diff donut.
I'll leave the fuel stuff alone, probably better to start a new thread for that.

Getting back to the topic of ABS, I went back into my GTOs ABS module and looked at the settings I put into it so it would be happy with the E38. I couldn't simply select whatever I wanted, the Tech2 only allowed certain combinations of settings to be programmable. Here's what I used:

Engine Type: V8 L76 & L98
Transmission Type: MT 6 Spd T56 MM6
Vehicle Type: 4 Door SWB Sedan
Suspension Type: FE2 & Calais
Brake Type: Standard or HSV

With these settings, everything is happy and everything works. So to experiment for a future setup for my Crewman, I plugged a 2005 ABS Module into my car and tried to program it. I found out that the VZ Calais V6 models came with ESP, so I tried these settings:

Engine Type: HFV6 LY6 3.6
Transmission Type: 5L40 RWD
Vehicle Type: 4 Door SWB Sedan
Suspension Type: FE2 & Calais
Brake Type: Standard or HSV

It would not program. No other combination would program that I could think of. I think maybe because it's a 2005 ABS module, I don't know if ESP was a thing in 2005. I have a spare 2006 ABS module, I'm going to try that next and see if I have better luck.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
Yeah that makes sense, because it's likely changed the ABS broadcast settings it was probably listening for/to the E40.

I think it boils down to the difference between a Manual/Auto car is that an auto can still perform an up/down shift, where as the ABS will communicate to tell the auto to hold the gear / prevent a shift occurring while the ABS/Traction Control is active.

Traction Control doesn't work in the ecu by itself, it needs to have the wheel speeds communicated on the bus & the trans listens into it.