Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Que'y

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Well, I have finally decided on a project to start and hopefully finish, a HQ 1 Tonner.

A little bit of history; It was my sisters for the last 4 years, I was working on it until she ran out of money and left it in storage in my Parents Garage for like the past 3 years.
It was a 308, with a Toploader Gearbox, ####ing nuggety thing it was, too hard for my sister to drive, and apparently too powerful.

So, brilliant idea no. 1; Swap out 308 and top loader for 3.3L mildly worked, traumatic, stally, etc... Completed.
It was upto the stage of painting when she wanted it Pink. Then she ran out of money! Thankfully. :p

Then I bought it...

Now, the past few weeks I've been toying with many ideas, even a supercharged big block for the Tonner, but decided on the cheaper (upfront) and more fuel efficient option.

When you see pics, please hold off on the name calling, tomato throwing, and general harrassing comments such as "why the #### would ou do that..." "Are you serious..." etc..

Pics will be up tomorrow, as its hidden under heaps of stuff in the Garage, will try to clean it out and get some pics if the weathers good.

Basically need a bit of technical info:

Are "Tuff Mounts" engine mounts ok?

LS1-LS2 TUFF MOUNTS,suit HQ-WB,LH-LX,ENGINE MOUNTS,DRAG | eBay

Which sump - just the rear hump factory Holden sump?

NEW CHEVY SUMP TO SUIT EARLY HOLDEN WITH LATE MODEL GEN,LS1 ENGINE TRANSPLANT | eBay

Extractors - 4 into 1's?

EXTRACTORS GEN 3 4 LS1 LS2 V8 4-1 HQ HJ HX HZ WB HOLDEN | eBay

Or Tri-Y's?

HEADERS EXTRACTORS GEN 3/4 LS1 HQ HJ HX HZ WB HOLDEN | eBay

Wiring loom, what I need to mod it myself, or where to get it done? Will this be good enough, it can't be that hard surely?

LS1 Standalone engine harness engine conversion | eBay

A good Tuner, within cooeee of the Central Coast, or if its worth the trailer ride into Marrano's or somewhere else in Sydney.

Autometer Gauges - which ones, electronic / what will work?

Shift Kit, Stally?

Cam? Valve springs etc..

Throttle body, fly by wire is no good for me...?

Donor car is a VZ SS, LS1 - 4L60E.

most opinions and comments welcome...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Pics:

P9240887.jpg

P9240888.jpg

P9240889.jpg

P9240890.jpg

Any one know if that little purple plug in the bottom right of the last picture is the IAT sensor?
With that not connected, would that cause it to idle low/want to stall? Or is there anything else that's supposed to be on the intake?

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
My neighbor up the road has an LS1 with a T56 in his HQ tonner, i dont have any info on how its fitted but holy damn does it go good. You will love the end result!

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
any questions, or parts needed just ask,have feck loads.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pics are demanded!! haha

Got pics of trashed VZ. No interior, no doors, nothing really just a shell.
I went to take some of the HQ but it is literally burried under heaps of **** in the garage. Took one photo but you can't even recognise what it is - thats not getting posted! Way too embarrassing... Lets just say EVERYONE else's garage is clean compared to ours :)

My neighbor up the road has an LS1 with a T56 in his HQ tonner, i dont have any info on how its fitted but holy damn does it go good. You will love the end result!

Haha, that's what I'm hoping!! The LS1 into HQ/early Holden has been done a 1000 times already, but theres a reason that it has - it works!

i originally wanted a 6 speed manual, but the auto came up at the right price at the right time... Plus it leaves the option to make it a 'quick' car.

[jonnoo];1994293 said:
any questions, or parts needed just ask,have feck loads.

Questions? How the feck do you start a VZ with no dash, steering wheel, interior/airbags, etc etc...

With a battery in it, turn the key to reds (not that you can see anything - no dash) hear the fuel pump doing it thing, wait, then try to crank and nothing... not even trying to crank.
Any idea's? Maybe P/M me!

Plus the other questions like would these parts fit/be what I'm after etc, in the first post...

What sort of parts do you have?? :D

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Are "Tuff Mounts" engine mounts ok?
Extractors - 4 into 1's?

Or Tri-Y's?

Wiring loom, what I need to mod it myself, or where to get it done? Will this be good enough, it can't be that hard surely?

Shift Kit, Stally?

Cam? Valve springs etc..

Throttle body, fly by wire is no good for me...?

Donor car is a VZ SS, LS1 - 4L60E.

tough mounts are a good novelty. but that novelty will wear off when the fillings in your teeth fall out. SO many vibrations. especially if you go lumpy on the cam

tri y's and 4-1's both have their uses. personally if the car spends most its time between 1500-3000rpm then go tri's if its a 8000rpm screamer or turbo/supercharged then go 4-1's. but this is a pretty hotly debated subject and comes down to personal choice.

the loom cant be that hard. you managed to find any diagrams? how much wiring work have you done in the past?

stally/cam/springs is all up to you bro. thats the first decision YOU need to make and stick to it. they all gotta match up or you are wasting your time/money/fuel. what you want the car to achieve, how often will use use it, wheres its rpm gonna be mostly? once you have decided on those things, you cant really change your mind without changing all three things.

flyby wire will be great. its just a matter of wiring it up really.block off the old speedo cable holes with dynamat or something and steal the pedal set from the donor car.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
:rofl2: So tough mounts are for real men ari? :p HQ's were never really the smoothest most comfortable ride anyway?!
Well, if not tough mounts, what other brand will fit the LS1 into the HQ? I've heard mixed reports about a few of the bigger companies, so wary to try any of their proucts...

Its not going to be a daily, so, hmm, not sure yet - I suppose either will do basically as well as each other - I'll still be able to drive it if I pick the wrong one for my application! I like the look of 4into1's, so as long as they fit..

Found a really good post on Third Gen . org
LS1 harness: Start to finish - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

So looks like its possible to have a play, should be able to do it no worries, had a bit of auto-electrical experience. Most of the info is there, plus, Hak's doing one for his bimmer so I'll pick his brain!

Direction I want this build to take - basically stock internals, cam, valve springs, tune, would like 300rwkw for now. But still want drive-ability and fuel economy.
Like the idea of it tame enough to be a nice cruiser, but still be wild enough to fill my needs!

You have a point, will probably be cheaper to use the FBW aswell.. Seeing as how its already there.

Need to order:
Engine mounts - so then I can mount it in the HQ and check for clearance between the block and cross member then -
Rear hump Sump - or just order them both and hope the sump fits... Then -
Extractors - and hope they fit with the engine mounts, while playing with the loom, then start on the fuel system, etc, tuners, etc, $$$ etc...

Only thing is, to order the engine mounts, check fit, then order the sump, check fit, then order the extractors, check fit etc its going to take weeks, and I'm impatient.
Not to mention working too much, I'm having next weekend (the long weekend) off, so would like to have a good go at it then.

Thinking seriously about ordering those three things straight up now, and hope for the best! Opinions?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
tough mounts are a good novelty. but that novelty will wear off when the fillings in your teeth fall out. SO many vibrations. especially if you go lumpy on the cam

Bullshit, have you ever used them Ari? My boss has a blown 454 in an HQ that's solid mounted and you wouldn't even know it was solid mounted if you weren't told. It's as smooth as any other HQ.

Nice project Zeussy, just a shame you're going with the "sheep" LS1 conversion. So sick of seeing LS1's in early girls.

We need pics though....:p

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Bullshit, have you ever used them Ari? My boss has a blown 454 in an HQ that's solid mounted and you wouldn't even know it was solid mounted if you weren't told. It's as smooth as any other HQ.

Nice project Zeussy, just a shame you're going with the "sheep" LS1 conversion. So sick of seeing LS1's in early girls.

We need pics though....:p

agreed!

can the LS1 this thing needs some import lovin! :p

but seriously though, awesome build!