Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's HJ Ute

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hey guys, over the past two years I've been slowly working away on a HJ ute I purchased in January of 2012 and thought I might as well post a few pics of her journey.

Firstly I have to say, this forum along with other closely related forums had helped me tremendously in areas of especially paint and body, engine and interior work. So I'm very grateful.

When i first got it home

It came with 2 original gts guards, the bottoms of both were rusted out. The LHS guard was so badly damaged at the top and bottom, only the flutes were salvageable.

Made a makeshift spray booth

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Looking good, love seeing backyard jobs. Throw up a few more details about her.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Think I was reading about this on another forum recently, ute looks fantastic though even better that you painted and did all the work yourself. Tops to you mate.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Looking good, love seeing backyard jobs. Throw up a few more details about her.

Thanks guys. Well it's a '75 HJ ute which originally came out with a 202 and trimatic column shift, obviously with a bench seat. When i got it, the previous owner had installed a red 253 with a trimatic and floor shift, and full statesman interior (all just chucked in for the sale, everything bolted in with a bolt here and there) with bucket seats. The bloke was apparently going to fix it up for his son to drive, and so had done a fair bit of work to it. The chassis had been painted in 2 pack along with the firewall and interior.

I continued with the colour that they had painted the interior for the exterior, and although it wouldnt have been my choice of colour originally its kinda grown on me.

Unfortunately I needed to take out the 253 since I'm on my P's... but I replaced that with a mildly worked injected 202 (cam, cleaned up ports, compression etc) running on straight gas with a 3 speed manual, and it seems to go pretty well and I don't have any trouble overtaking at all (much to my surprise).

Think I was reading about this on another forum recently, ute looks fantastic though even better that you painted and did all the work yourself. Tops to you mate.
I got all of my info and advice regarding building the engine from the blokes on the other forum and they were extremely helpful in that regard. I think that they're more about originality and concourse restorations rather than just backyard jobs though

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Nice mate i built a hq one toner up to show quality, so i understand the amount of work in it, as the panels are huge compared to a new car althought they much like a big lego set to put together. Very simple.
Did you think about smoothing over the tub liner cober hooks?
Also a nice set of wheels would really make the car. Had a set of new five spoke dragways on my one, the new chrome makes the paint look that much better

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Haven't seen a set of those Aussie 'mouse house' mags for ages. They're classics!

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
We'll done man! I love seeing people give it a go. And judging by the pic it's good quality. If you posted only the last pic I would not have picked it as a back yarder!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
top result, good on ya shazz....

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Looks killer mate, awesome job.

I love how hours upon hours - weeks and weeks worth of work can be summed up in a matter of half a dozen photos.. Doesn't clarify the amount of work that really goes into them.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Looks amazing mate. Well done.