Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

custom VN with blue 308 + trimatic

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
hey guys, this is going to be my project for a few weeks, picking up a blue 308 motor, and trimatic, the old VN V6 is getting a bit tired and i think its time to change, so decided im goign to go ol school with an ol carby, ervyone going to hate me for this and everyones going to have there own opinion, but it will be done, jsut want to see if anyone can help me, i will post some pics as soon i get the motor and box and start work,

so far i know i need to change the K-frame to an old commodore, and obviously a custom made gearbox mount, and either shorten or lengthen the tailshaft, but if anyone can think of anything else, dont hesitate to post a reply

cheers, nick

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
new someone would pick it, doesnt take long now does it, na not for a while, and when i do it will be all fuel injected

fatvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calias v8
run it on straight lpg then you shouldnt have any probs with rta restrictions ect. i enquired a few years ago about the same thing at my local blueslip man and he said theres nothing to state it cant be done other than emissions so lpg it and its all good cheers wayne

fatvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calias v8
also forgot to mention that im pretty sure vns have the same floor pan as the early girls so there shouldnt be much modification for gearbox ect. plobly just have to change k-member .maybe steering rack aswell .and i have also heard that the tailshafts from the old trimatic fit straight into turbo 700 ect so should be ok for vice versa.cant see why people would have a prob with this type of conversion its cheaper than the alternative and you can build a tough engine heaps cheaper than an injected type . (not that i have anything against injected). cheers again wayne

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
but is a trimatic the same length as a t700?

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it doesnt seem to hard at all, and yeah pretty sure the trimatics is the same length as the t700 as they have a longer extension housing but i will work that out when i get it, and yeah it will be straight LPG to meet emissions, and 308 are much cheaper for parts than EFi and i am a carby man myself, as i spoke once before out putting a carby on V6, started to build the manifold and now the motor dying so time to go bigger and better

cheers, nick

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yeah it doesnt seem to hard at all, and yeah pretty sure the trimatics is the same length as the t700 as they have a longer extension housing but i will work that out when i get it, and yeah it will be straight LPG to meet emissions, and 308 are much cheaper for parts than EFi and i am a carby man myself, as i spoke once before out putting a carby on V6, started to build the manifold and now the motor dying so time to go bigger and better

cheers, nick

ahhh, i think i remember that thread about the carby on a V6. there's definitly nothing wrong with a carby, hell, don't the nascar nextel cup guys still use em and look at the power they make. trimatics are a little weak but they can be made to handle a lot of power, the good thing about em is that there is a lot less internal mass inside a traumatic then say a t350 or t400 and especially a t700 so there is less power loss through the trans. the downside is that there is no overdrive so fuel mileage isn't that great

let us know how it goes and post some pics if you can:thumbsup:

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah getting the motor and box soon, im not really looking for power, just wanted a V8 and it will be somethign different, trimatics are cheap to rebuild, i think i almost got everything ready to go in, i will post some pics as i go, just picked up another VN V6 series 2 auto, in really great mechanically condition, only needs some paint

strokeduterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VS UTE
im doin the same sorta thing lad. Im slotting a carby fed 308 into my VS ute with a trimatic. Carby fed for cheap tuning(DIY), trimatic has WAY less power loss than Chev boxes and ITS ALL HOLDEN :)
The trimatic is being built as Full manual with 600hp capacity. Ya gotta pay for it too....$2550 just for parts and machining. With the carby engines if you dont want it pokin through the bonnet then a stock manifold SHOULD fit. As for the T700 and Trimatic input shafts...I have also heard that they are the same???? Might have to grab the front section off a VN tailshaft to adapt to mine....alot of trial and error hey! The power steering racks mounting points are the same so no drama with the Kframe as mine bolted straight in and it is from a VN SS. My ute was also a 6 manual. She'll be punchin out 500 at the treads by Easter. CANT WAIT!!