Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Land transport accidents - the leading cause of 1% of all deaths in Australia

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Probably been posted before, I don't care. I got some stats from ABS and made a pie chart showing the spread and percentages. They're from 2007, but nothing's really changed, more road deaths, more cancer deaths so it's all in proportion. Remember, this is only the top 20 causes of death as well, so the total percentage of land transport accidents is actually less than 1% of all deaths in Australia.

top20_causes_of_death_australia_200.png

Some of those causes can't be helped, but most of them can. I'm sure if the government spent as much money on other causes as they did on road accidents they would save A LOT more lives. Have you ever seen a government initiative to stop smoking? In fact, do you even know if the government is tackling any of those other causes? I sure as hell don't, which means even if they are, the budget they put towards it is very limited.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
As far as Government help goes - A friend of mine helps out at Lifeline (suicide helpline), and had to pay her own way through the $900ish training course.
Now I'm not going to say the government is spending too much on road safety, but how about subsidising things like the lifeline course.
I'm sure there are many other examples but this is one i've run into recently

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yeah that suicide stat is scarily high. I did a short course a while ago about prevention, because of these statistics more education will start creeping into schools (i won't complain about crowded curriculum on this one...) and some of the stats were just unbelievable. The sad part is there are still people who say those who are depressed etc have full control over their feelings etc. That's probably why the old stigma is attached, because of these old farts who don't understand how it really works.

I might have though road related deaths would be higher....

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I might have though road related deaths would be higher....

Actually....now that I look closer at it, most of these deaths would be older people.
I have a feeling that if you looked at deaths of people aged, say under 40, then car accidents would be a lot higher...but then so would suicide

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I can't comment much as im in a different country, but im sure there is a calculation that can put an amount of risk prevention against all of those causes of death it would show that road accidents are probably the easiest to reduce, with no direct revenue coming from the cause, i.e smokers end up paying a large tax as they have more health problems, whereas everyone has to pay on the road for the ones that die.

Not sure but we have a ACC levy added to the cost of registration for everyone to cover the people that have road related accidents

might not make sense sorry.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The government doesn't put any money into health. Think about how much gets spent on hospitals compared to road safety - I'm fairly sure the hospitals would get a hell of a lot more.

Anti smoking campaigns? On the tv all the time.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
The government doesn't put any money into health. Think about how much gets spent on hospitals compared to road safety - I'm fairly sure the hospitals would get a hell of a lot more.

That's not really my point. Hospitals don't prevent causes of death, they only treat them once they've already occurred. I am talking about treating causes at the source, eg deaths from smoking, diabetes, skin cancer, prostate cancer can all be reduced - probably a lot more than road accidents - with proper education about the subjects.

Anti smoking campaigns? On the tv all the time.

The ads I see are from nicorette. Not the government. Maybe I have seen one actually, one ad that gets shown 50% less than road safety ads while the amount of deaths caused by smoking is 6 times greater. QLD might be different.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
That's not really my point. Hospitals don't prevent causes of death, they only treat them once they've already occurred. I am talking about treating causes at the source, eg deaths from smoking, diabetes, skin cancer, prostate cancer can all be reduced - probably a lot more than road accidents - with proper education about the subjects.

If we all sit in bubbles? life would be pretty bland.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
You make a good point. It's way easier to die once you hit 50 instead of getting your prostate checked.

Or not go out in the sun, not eat certain foods, Yes prostate cancer can be found in examinations. still no way of preventing that yet. alot of these causes of death cannot be fixed at the source, some can be fixed if found early enough, but alot have to do with human genetics etc, but I don't know enough about that to get into it. Its all about peoples lifestyles. Theres not alot people can do about it.

And yes eating properly and exercising can help out but thats all upto peoples lifestyles.