Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Probe - Any common faults?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling my VS and getting a Ford Probe.... (please keep the bagging of fords out of this thread), I'm not a ford fan, I am just downgrading my car to something smaller .. the Probe is a 2.5L.

I'm really just after a Coupe, but can't find much under $10K ... well a decent looking sporty kind of car anyway. I want the boot to be in the cabin as much as possible... like the supra mk4's... because I'll be running subs etc... soundsystem very important to me... currently have gas tank in boot and losing a lot sound from that..

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this car. Is there any known problems? the engine is a mazda engine ... same as those mx6's. Anything I need to look for before buying one?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Anyone??

.....nobody has any experience? heard any stories? a friend of a friend?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
You'll probably have to give it a bit longer than 90 minutes before expecting a response!

I have never even seen a Ford Probe in real life so I can't help you there...

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
You'll probably have to give it a bit longer than 90 minutes before expecting a response!

I have never even seen a Ford Probe in real life so I can't help you there...

Lol Sorry DavidPartay ... just thought, the 24 people who have looked on the thread... thought maybe 1 person would know someting :p

I've seen quite a few Probes, but then I've had an eye for them.. strange that you never notice it until you actually looking for it.

Sheany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S SuperCharged
It's a mitsubishi V6. If it uses the same auto as the rest of them, run away! Nice torquey engine but the gearboxes are shocking. I had mine rebuilt 3 times!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
It's a mitsubishi V6. If it uses the same auto as the rest of them, run away! Nice torquey engine but the gearboxes are shocking. I had mine rebuilt 3 times!

Mitsubishi v6? I thought it was a Mazda engine. Did you own a Probe??
I've been told the car uses a lot of mazda 626 and mazda mx6 parts.... and those cars aren't rare.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
you asked not to bag the ford (cockroach) and then complain no one is responding.
cant have it both ways.
Australian Ford Forums - Cougar and Probe
ask a question here, you may get answers. (biased answers)