Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprenticeship wages??

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
hey

i have been offered an apprenticeship as a painter and decorator. i asked the boss what are the wages like and he thinks for a first year apprentice it would be around $200 a week for 40 hours... does this sound right?

is there anywhere i can look to see how much I am meant to be earning? or is anyone a painter themselves?

cheers :beer chug:

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
I get around that for 38 hours a week. About $6.05 an hour.

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Pay rise after 6 months. Think it's a 15 or 20% increase.

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
apparently id be on a 6 month probationary period first. i dont want to be there for 6 months and then my boss says he doesnt want me. so then i wouldnt have done year 12 for nothing

confusedddd

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Probation is pretty usual when you start a full time position, as it can work both ways and give either party the option to end the employment. For all you know you may not like the work, the conditions or your new boss.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Nahh thats **** theres no way id take on that job. For 38 hours (1st year apprentice) im on roughly $390-400 a week.

Last week i did 42 hours and brought home $444.33

Im a 1st year chef btw

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
VL_5SPEED, that could be what you're paid, but base rate is about 220 p/w for most trades. i started off on $6.30 p/h, then it went up to $8.50 p/h after a few months. apprentice wages suck, but you have to start somewhere, and people arent going to be willing to pay big money for inexperienced workers.

to the OP, if you have an interest in doing that kind of work, then i'd say do it. but if you're just doing it cos you have been offered the job and want to start earning some money, and dont have much of an interest in the job, then stay in school and wait for the right thing to come up.

we have too many wankers come through our work who are deadbeats and just wanted an apprenticeship for the money (regardless of the shitful wages)

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
Nahh thats **** theres no way id take on that job. For 38 hours (1st year apprentice) im on roughly $390-400 a week.

Last week i did 42 hours and brought home $444.33

Im a 1st year chef btw

yeah but you work your ****in arse off for that money dont you?