Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ady Gill Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Japanese whalers have rammed a sea Shepard anti whaling protest vessel. once again the japs are claiming innocence for there own actions.

both the NZ and Australian government now need to act and send military vessels to the area to prevent further criminal acts been perpetrated by the japanese whaling fleet.

Govt urges restraint in whaling fracas - Yahoo!Xtra News

check these vids

YouTube - ady gil ramming japanese whaling vessel - jap vid

YouTube - Ady Gil rammed by Shonan Maru No. 2, view from MV Bob Barker (sea shepard vessel) vid

in the 2nd vid it's very clear the jap vessel turns hard to starboard at speed to ram the Ady gil

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Australian Governent won't do **** because Krudd is spinless.

He hasn't even come out to make a statement on the matter or even to acknowledge the event.

But something needs to give, trying to disable another ship, sure fair enough if that floats your boat. But deliberately ramming a much much smaller vessel at full speed. The crew of the Ady Gil could have been killed if it have been hit a few meters more to it's stern.

And then they also didn't yield and give assitance once the Ady sent out a mayday call.

Thats some pretty major maritime laws broken there by the Japanese 'Research' vessel.

I don't completely agree with some of the actions on the Sea Shepards part, but if there are no penalties enforced on Japan after this, that will be a joke.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Wow. I heard the story yesterday but haven't seen the footage.
It is lucky that only injured was some broken ribs. This would be a totally different story if one of the members was killed.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Not sure if we're watching the same video mate...

Ady Gill is basically stationary in the water... jap ship turns onto it, Ady Gill see's their about the be hit and tries to high tail out of there but too late and the jap ship turn onto it again.

Then once they have rammed the Ady Gill, they decided to high pressure hose it just for good measure.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Maybe the Ada Gill accelerated into the Japanese vessel?

You can see quite clearly by the whitewash they floored the bloody thing into the side of the jap boat.

Agree at 19 seconds they start booting it in the jap video. They should have avoided the collision being the smaller boat. The angle of the jap boat in the greenpeace video barely changes yet somehow manages to hit the other one. Shows greenpeace accelerated forward into its path.

Nice setup greenpeace but you failed.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No way the Andy gil was moving forward slightly but the japs have really yanked on the wheel to do that. I'm sure they were pissed at some previous incident earlier in the day :). But still screw the whale eaters I say (and the fish eaters and the cow eaters). But that's another story :p. I think this calls for the A team to weld up an indestructable nose on a old trawler and line up some whale boats

p.s these guys are not greenpeace, they are fairly x 10000 more agressive. greenpeace don't do stuff like this

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Agree at 19 seconds they start booting it in the jap video. They should have avoided the collision being the smaller boat. The angle of the jap boat in the greenpeace video barely changes yet somehow manages to hit the other one. Shows greenpeace accelerated forward into its path.

The Japanese ship shouldn't have steered toward the stationary boat in the first place. Maybe there where planning on just bluffing but they turned onto the Ady Gill while that boat was stationary in the water.

And barely changes angle? you watch the footage from the Barker and the Jap vessel changed direction by 20-30 degrees.

Yes, the Ady floored it right before the crash, but it looks to me like they judged that the Jap boat was going to keep turning at the same rate and were hoping to cross ahead of it.

But the Jap vessel started turning the other way at that point.

Pretty sure the Jap vessel was setting up a bluff to scare the Ady Gill, the Ady Gill misjudged it and the closing action of boat boats contributed to the collision.

But initially, the Ady Gill was stationary and the Jap vessel turned onto it, there is no denying that.

EDIT:

Shame about the Ady Gill though, awesome boat wasted.

Also, we should add a poll to this on who people think is to blame for the collision.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

i'm sorry, must be my imagination. or did i miss the bit where the jap boat turns sharply at speed. just look at the way the jap boat leans over as it goes into the turn. the jap boat was moving at a fairly good speed.

maritime law states very clearly that you must always give way to the vessel to your starboard side as the Ady gil was. the jap captain should be prosecuted for breaking such a major maritime law. happened in Australian controlled waters. hope your government takes to correct actions

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
:rofl:

good on the japs regardless who was at fault. These clowns need to be off the water

immortality, Australian controlled waters mean jack ****, they are not australian waters to the Japanese who have no accord to agree to any such clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.