Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Think im in big trouble - help!

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
Hey guys! i have come to the forums in sheer desperation!
the story starts like this..

Got up this morning to go down to the shops for the usual bread and milk only when i got in the car i turned the key and all i hear is the starter motor spin but nothing else.
Tried this a few times but with the same result every time.

So i get out my trusty hammer and gives the starter a few love taps then go back to try again.. same thing.. checked solenoid and all connections still nothing. starter will spin but not engage the flywheel.
Out of sheer desperation i rock the car back and forth and try again BINGO!! she starts!
now my heart sinks realizing that my problem is very likely the flywheel missing teeth or worn out. Could this be the only cause for my problem or could it possibly be something else? something a little less expensive lol.
Car is an 01 TJ magna exec Auto.
any help would be greatly apreciated!

- James

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I used to have this problem with my old fully-sik sigma.
To start it you had to put it in first then go to third, and then neutral otherwise it wouldn't start.
So we just used to roll start it.

Your first problem was buying a magna.

The starter could be shagged it doesn't have to be the flywheel thats buggered.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
seriously doubt its flywheel.

my bet is on the starter too.... and the fact its a magna :spew:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
yeah, fly wheel is fine, if it's missing teeth then you have the worlds most powerfull magna, and then some

get a new starter motor, your problem is easy to fix.

99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
Might have something to do with hitting parts with a hammer every time they don't work properly.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Might have something to do with hitting parts with a hammer every time they don't work properly.

Mate that is a common method to get a starter motor working again......

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

Yes you should pull the starter and check its condition (ie teeth etc.). But as the starter spun - then there were no teeth ( on the fly wheel) for it to engage.

Car engines usually stop in the same few spots (against a compression stroke) so you can wear the fly wheel ring gear in one spot so that the starter dosn't engage.

While the starter is out, check the teeth of the flywheel.

Apart from the cost of splitting the motor / gearbox, the replacement of the flywheel and/or ring gear is not a big problem. think about clutch replacement while you are there!

Good Luck

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Could just be the gear which slides up and down the shaft in the starter, the one which spins and gets pushed into the ring gear. I pulled our Pajero starter to bits and the solenoid pushes against a plastic arm, which pivots and the opposite end pushes the gear in and out. Could be dirty or corroded in there, so it won't move freely. The solenoid would be ok if ya can still here it spinning. And normally if it's missing teeth on the ring gear ya here an awful noise. So yeah I'd say its dirty or corroded.

Ya could remove it, then pull it to bits and go over everything, blow it out with compressed air, try and get rid of any rust....but yeah might be better just investing in a new starter motor.

We got a new one for our Pajero and it lasted only a few months b4 it was cactus from siezing up after going bush and taking a few water crossings.....and apparently warranty doesn't cover water damage so we had to fork out for another one. :p

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
Thanks heaps guys :) ill get a starter on monday and change it out,
just thought it was strange that it only started after i rocked the car forwards and backwards.
hope it is just starter.

cheers guys!

bloodyricho

Bloody Richo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Equipe (hare) and VE SV6 (tortise)
solenoid use a spanner across two nuts on back of starter and check power to little wire . if you get it working sell it and get a vn - just as crappy but will keep running