Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confused about P plate test in a manual-NSW

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
ok so pretty much, i've had my manual ute for a coupla months now, and had a few mates get their p's in a manual.

question is, when coming to a stop or slowing down significantly what is the CORRECT way to slow down and change down gears so i can get my p's.

my driving instructor has taken me out once on the ute and said i can change down and skip gears, example, when coming up to a roundabout i would have gone from 4th, down to third, and into 2nd if i need to go slow enough..when i did this my instructor said, what are ya doin that for, skip from 4th straight into 2nd...he's gotten my brother his licence (in an auto) about 10 years ago and my sister (in an auto) 5 years ago..so this instructor is saying i can skip gears, and when im coming to a definate stop i slow right down in the gear i am in then put the clutch in, stop, then change into 1st gear, take off again.

my mates on the other hand say, when ever you slow down you gear down every gear and when you are ready to go into first gear you just have the clutch in and stop.

so really...what is the correct way to slow down or stop in a manual in order to get my licence first go...if i gear down by skipping gears and i don't get my licence because of it im gunna crack the shits and be very ****in pissed off.

if anyone could help me out it would be great...examples would be great too..coming up to a red light, coming up to a roundabout, coming up to a stop sign etc

thanks everyone

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I'm in vic but I guess it should be the same all throughout oz. My instructor told me to always change down gear so you were in the correct gear if you had to accelerate quickly to get out of a sticky situation. But apparently a lot these days day to hold the gear, then change back to first when you stop.

Personally I think that changing down is better in all situations, plus you have more control of the car, it helps to slow down the car (with engine braking), and if people say it wears out the clutch or gearbox, I drove like that hard in a turbo car for 7 years and never had to replace anything.

By the way I had to get my manual licence after I originally got auto P's (coz I didn't have a manual car then), so on test I downshifted everytime I slowed down and passed with near full marks.

I skip gears if I am felling lazy, you can do it, but it's not a great habit to get into. Plus you don't get to match the revs as easy ;)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Not sure there is an official rule or law in regards to what you need to be doing with the gearbox while coming to a stop or slowing down.

Only thing my instructor mentioned to be (7 years ago now) was that once you've come to a stop you shouldn't sit at the stop sign or lights with the car out of gear.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yeaaaa...its abit sketchy though...my whole family has said gear down every gear, my mates tha tjot got their p's say to do the same...my brothers and sisters friends (on full licences) say to gear down...but this reputable driving instructor says you can skip down gears..its crazy and confusing

my instructor said, coming up to a roundabout slow it right down in 4th, change to second before the roundabout then go through it in 2nd...at a red light, gear down every gear till you come to second..when your ready to go into first, just have the clutch and change it into first and come to a stop, this way, incase the light changes, i can accelerate away...at a stop sign, i'd be in 4th gear, and he'd bring me down to like 15-20kmh nearly ready to stall the bloody thing then put the clutch in and stop....he said i can stop in any gear i want, just change back to first gear when i go to take off again

THIS IS DOING MY HEAD IN

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
hey mate.
i'm in victoria and i did a bit of both really, i don't think there is a law about it.
as long as you can control the car smoothly, not stall and not overrev or labour the engine you are seen as competent.
if i was about to stop i would stay in gear until i approached the red light or stop sign, i would then put the car into neutral just before being stationary. i would then put the car in first and sit with the clutch in (my driving instructor said this would be better in-case i have to take off quickly or there is an emergency).
i did skip gears every now and then, like coming up to a roundabout i would slow down to like 40 and then put it into second from fourth.
hope that helps mate.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yea that makes sense, like, do what ya have to do to be in control of the car...im not sure if there actually are guidlines for it though:S i might have to take a trip to the rta soon and find out for sure

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
I did my test last year in NSW in a manual corrola and you can skip 1 gear (4th- 2nd) and put the clutch in while your in 3rd come to stop then chang into 1st. I know you cant coast in neuteral.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yea thats what my instructor was saying...ahh well, i'll get a few more responses from you fellas and ring up rta when i can be bothered getting off my arse ahaha

aussieguy50

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina 2003
the right way is to gear down each gear so if need be you can accelerate to get out of trouble but if you want to skip gears it ok also

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
so is there actually any specific guidelines anyone knows of that the driving testers assess you on...i mean like..can they fail me for skipping gears becuase that doesn't meet a guideline they have or something?