Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help please (daytime running lights)

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
hi everyone so basically i put a strip of led's under the headlights in the vy today like is popular these days but i got pulled over because of them tonight. The cops were good about it and admitted they weren't exactly sure but are they legal. I was under the impression that they were because the E2 hsv's have them and audi have had them a few years but does anyone know where i can find out in black and white because i've had no luck. thanks

i've added a pic of someone elses as an example of wat i'm talking about

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,007

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
they aren't illegal is the best way of looking at the situation.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Im not sure tbh as to if they are illegal or not, but I do know you can not use the 'but the E2 HSV's have them' as a reason as to why they are legal. As they are standard on the HSV's and your car didnt come out of the factory like that it makes the rules different im pretty sure.

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Well the Audis had a V10 as well, does that mean we can drop one into a commodore too? Whenever i see a car coming with LEDs up the road, I think of a vs ute with aerials and cat mudflaps and checkerplate sideskirts lol

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife, had the engine running and lights on when a motorcycle cop pulled up in front of me to go into subway but first he came up to me and informed me that the led strip lights I have on the front are illegal. I politely asked why and he said the vehicle didn't originally come out with them. They can be used as daytime running lights but must turn off when the headlights come on, so now I have to figure out how to do that. What about all those trucks covered in LEDs and lit up like a Christmas tree.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Same as the above post, im sure they have to switch off when your headlights come on like the day/night feature on the E2's

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Easy fix, they are pointless on a HSV and pointless on your car. Remove them and you won't have any problems.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
DRLs are defined in the ADRs, based on a range of technical performance parameters that are basically impossible to work out without expensive testing. to the average person, it is impractical to tell whether a light qualifies as a DRL or not. good luck with that.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh spot on Jules.

Also yes, the excuse "VE's have them" doesn't work as anything on a VZ is an after market addition and I assume would be dealt with in this fashion.

Same as idiots who put the illegal LED washer jets on their bonnets, or blue/red/whatever LED parker lights.