Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Man faces manslaughter charge after shooting intruder in own home.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Man who shot Gold Coast home intruder is the 'real victim' | News.com.au

A GOLD Coast man who shot and killed an armed intruder did nothing wrong and was simply defending "his home, his castle", a court has been told.
Kane Robert Cook, 29, faced court today charged with manslaughter after he shot one of four intruders he said were in his house when he returned home at about 1.40am yesterday.

The fatally wounded man lurched out into the street and bled to death in a gutter 50m away from Cook's home at Gilston.

Mr Cook's lawyer Bill Potts told the Southport Magistrates Court it was staggering that a man who'd simply defended himself against intruders was now facing a criminal charge.

"Under the law a man is allowed to use lethal force against a person who is demonstrably armed with a weapon and prepared to use lethal force against him," Mr Potts told the court.

"Does a man have to be killed or bashed to pieces to justify killing an armed robber in his own home?"

Mr Potts said his client had returned home to find four intruders lying in wait for him inside his house.

Mr Cook struggled with one man, who had a gun and was wearing a balaclava, and managed to grab the weapon and shoot the intruder in the upper leg, Mr Potts told the court.

Police prosecutor Glenn Whittle said the wounded man ran up the street towards a car parked nearby and bled to death before he could reach it.

Inside the car, which was registered to an address at Benowa on the Gold Coast where the dead man had been staying, police found a jewellery box carrying the name of Mr Cook's partner, a black balaclava, a homemade club and amphetamines.

When police later searched the Benowa home they found a hand-drawn "mud map" of Mr Cook's house with his name on it.

Sergeant Whittle confirmed there'd been a struggle inside Mr Cook's house before the shooting, with the dead man shot with a World War II Luger 9mm pistol.

Mr Cook had it in his hand when he went to his neighbour's home and told them: "Call police, call ambos, I shot someone", Sgt Whittle told the court.

He said after putting the gun down Mr Cook was allowed inside to call triple zero and told the operator he'd shot someone and had been robbed.

When police arrived, they found a pool of blood outside the house.

They followed the blood trail up the street and found the man's body in the gutter, Sgt Whittle said.

Police told the court Mr Cook should not be granted bail, but magistrate Catherine Pirie decided to free him, on the condition he report to police once a week.

And this is what is wrong with this country, can't even defend yourself in your own home without being threatened with a prison sentence.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Id be surprised if he was actually found guilty considering the spate of armed robberies and shootings on the Gold Coast as of late. Be extremely easy for a defense lawyer to argue the man feared for his life.

In the end, its not really the coppers fault hes in the court room, hes killed someone. They cant just pat him on the back and send him on his way.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
4 people break into a house and the poor owner gets charged???? IMO if a burglar cops a baseball bat in the snozz then bad luck. We all have occupational hazards to deal with.

Reaper

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
think i might be moving back to the states.....

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Give them a stern, "Im gonna have to ask you to leave"

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
We all know what we would do, but it's bullshit that it all comes down to what we end up doing which in this poor guy's case, was killing someone. When it comes to the law, it seems that they remove everything from what happened and turn it from 'Man grapples an armed, masked intruder in his home & defends himself by shooting the man' into 'Man _____ ______ shoots _______ intruder, killing him'. It's shite, but police look at it from the law perspective, rather than what really happened. If he ends up getting convicted, which I highly doubt, then he'll be able to argue his case 100%.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I doubt he'll go down for that, although it _must_ go through the courts to establish the facts. Self defense allows you to use equal/justifiable force to defend yourself in Au. The intruder had already used a gun, I would think he is justified to use a gun in defense, even if it's the intruders gun.. Although that does mean that particular intruder is no longer a threat as he's be disarmed but as intent is a very important part of law... Anyway, I'm no lawyer, but I doubt if his story is true he'll be done for it.

One thing I'll say though.. Him being "laid in wait" for as a 29 year old makes me think there is more to this story and not a normal "home invasion/robbery."