Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yamaha genuine bike parts price differences..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have a yamaha 89 model TT350, these bikes were used mainly for enduro racing back in the day, they were a very similar bike in a lot of ways to the old 2 stroke IT's. I have been slowly replacing parts on it, and fixing it up for rego, as it wasnt in to bad a condition when I bought it, it just needed a few things replaced etc to get it looking and going 100% again. This particular bike was originally owned by NSW police trail bike squad.
Anyway, I started off by calling the local yamaha dealer here in my town for a few prices on some parts. I then found a yamaha dealer/online parts store over in the USA, and when I compared the prices, I nealy hit the floor, I was so glad I looked online before actually buying any parts from my local dealer.

Heres a few of the price differences.
Genuine front rim from here= $500
Genuine front rim from USA= $201 + $25 postage.

Genuine speedometer from here= $412.
Genuine speedometer from USA =$ 150 + $15 postage.

Genuine carby inlet joints from here = $163 each.(theres 2 of them needed)
Genuine carby inlet joints from USA = $49 each + $15 postage.

Genuine decompression cable from here = $70.
Genuine decompression cable from USA = $22 +$10 postage.

Genuine swingarm bush from here = $60
Genuine swingarm bush from USA= $17 + 10 postage.

Genuine shock lower bush from here = $55.
Genuine shock lower bush from USA = $19 + $10 postage.

Genuine self locking nut from here = $22
Genuine self locking nut from USA = $3 + $5 postage.

I dont get how these shops in the US can charge such low prices, and even get the parts shipped to australia as well, for way less than the yamaha dealers here charge to supply the exact same part. The parts are all made in japan, so I dont know why it works out cheaper to send parts from japan, half way around the world to the USA, then back around to australia, its just crazy how it works out. You would think that because we live on the same side of the world as japan, these parts would be a lot cheaper here than they are.
I also rang a couple of other yamaha dealers down in the city areas, and they could do the prices a bit cheaper, but not by a real lot. Example, the front rim was $500 in town here, $201 online from USA, and a dealer down near newcastle could do a genuine front rim for $360. I also found another discrepancy with yamaha parts, I can buy genuine white hand guards from the USA for the TT for around $45 each. I saw similar handguards on TTR 250's, so I looked at the price of them in the USA, and they were $7 each. I bough a pair to see if they were indeed the same part, and suprise suprise, they are the exact same parts. The local yamaha dealer wanted around $70 each for new ones.
I just wanted to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this, or knows why theres such a big price difference for the exact same genuine yamaha parts. Thankyou.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I think our Australian dealers are taking advantage of the high Aussie dollar at the moment and are not passing the savings on to the customers. I went through the same thing when trying to buy a source coil for the ignition on a Yamaha Pro Hauler that i was fixing for someone. Our local Yamaha dealer wanted$700 for a source coil. I ended up buying an aftermarket assembly from Canada that had source coil ,pulse coil and charging coils for $230. I really wonder how our local shops sell any any parts at the price they charge.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
The same thing goes with many things

I have been buying tractor parts for my Massey Fergusons from the UK including freight heaps cheaper than Oz

Stihl chainsaw parts from the US & UK under a 1/4 of what we pay in australia, I have just bought genuine stihl rebuild kit for my MS390 after the decompression valve letgo and went through the top of the piston and into the top of the cylinder.
I bought Piston & rings, Rod, cylinder/bore, gasket kit even vibration dampners, airfilter, sprocket and a couple of other odds and ends for 2 other saws and still came in at under 1/2 what I was quoted locally.

Scott

cracker

Reaction score
seadoo jetski parts are the same, massive difference

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
...I found it was the same as well in getting bits from the uk for a Peugeot 306....

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
I agree the pricing difference is beyond a joke. I called up on Saturday for a replacement piston. $66 in the States and $180 at the local yamaha team moto. Another Example. 0-Rings, $1.05 in the states $10+ here. I would love to hear a genuine reason as to why they charge SO much for the exact same part from the exact same supplier.

Anyone here would like to shed so light that acutally works at a dealer?

I understand that you have overheads but 200-400% margins!!!!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Profit.. Thats all its about..

Yeah, and in typical fashion, the australian public sits back and lets it happen, just like they do with most other things that are a rip off.. In a lot of other countries, this **** wouldnt be tolerated by the public. From those price differences, someone is definitely lining their "deep" pockets at our expence..

Thanks for the replies guys, its no suprise to see that its also happening with other products as well. One day enough aussies might get together, vote someone in who will actually do something different to all these other clowns which are supposedly "running" the country, and say enough is enough, its just plain outright robbery..

Last edited: