Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Car Was Hit By a Golf Ball, What To Do? ?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Hey all,

Couple months ago I drove past the local golf course, wen WHAM, golf ball bounces off the bonnet!!! :bang: :mad:
Went up to the club house, being a public hol, no one from admin was there.
Had to chase them up, lady on the fone told me to get a quote and send a statment of what happened with the quote, (I also send in pictures) and she said they would cover the costs.

I received a letter back from them stating that they would not cover the costs for people playing on their course.

Now my question is, does any1 no whether I can take this further. More so for the point of the matter now. I was talking to a mate, he said go to a lawer and get them to write a letter of demand, and demand for payment!

Any help or ideas would be great!!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Keegan. :D

G

goombeast

Get pics,documentation and all relevant facts,witnesses if any.Go to the clerk of petty sessions at the local courthouse and fill in a statutory declaration which can be purchased at local newsagent for around 50 cents or under.Write out a statement about what happenned and get a J.P. to sign it.Ask the clerk how to lodge an application for small claims and pay your $50 and he`ll put you in the register,they will be summonsed to appear.With the cost of downtime,solicitor,hassle etc.They will probably pay up right away.No you don`t need a solicitor.Just go to the courthouse and they`ll set you right.You`ll get your $50 bucks back and they will have to pay court costs on top as well so I reckon they`ll settle.

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Good luck......

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm pretty sure it's standard for all golf courses to pay for this kind of thing, Broken house windows and all that, at least they do where I live and so they should. They would have insurance for this kind of thing and worse, for example I wouldn't want to cop a golf ball in the eye as I walked past a golf course : )

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Unfortunately The Golf Course Is Not Responsible. Stupid But This **** Happens All The Time. Anyway Golf Courses Have Alot Of Money Therefore Have Good Lawyers. I Would'nt Mess With Em. What I Would Have Done Was Hunted The Golfer That Did It Down And Harass Him!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Shouldnt the golf course have some legal responsibility to keep the golf balls on the course? like a duty of care?

Talk to your insurance company even if your only 3rd party property they may be able to offer some legal advice but my opinion is they should be liable, just like if a shopping trolly hits your car the trolly collection company is liable for the damage.

cheers
Scott

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Buy yourself a cheap motocrosser then err...you get the picture...?

Instant concrete mix in the sand trap ?

Pay to get in and hit a few balls at the clubhouse ?

not helping much am I ?...

I cant help but feel vindictive when something like this happens...

Last edited:

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Unfortunately the Golf Club is not held responsible if there is fencing along all fairways that are near roads but it does have a duty of care to attempt to identify the Golfer who hit the wayward ball (near impossible). In WA the fences are required to be 3 metres high which even a poor golfer will clear easily. As was said before approach a Lawyer or seek legal aid and inform the club of your intended action. This sometimes worries them into paying up and use the term "Duty of Care".

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
golf balls have dimples on them so they go faster and further.

i'd take the car back to the golf course and get more little golf ball dents. Might have the same effect.