Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Thought these posts would be better in their own thread :)

There's a lot of technology in that Holden plant, we could probably buy it all for a good price.
Anyone wanna co-invest with me and start our own vehicle brand??
LOLz

Maybe we could convert the engine facility to make electric motors and power cells to build performance electric vehicles...

The world will progress to full electric vehicles, I have no doubt, and as much as I love the sound of a nice V8, V10 or V12, combustion engines are caveman technology.

Electric motors produce maximum torque from near zero rpm, the acceleration is fricken awesome!
Plus another advantage of electric vehicles are zero exhaust emissions which means cleaner air, especially in big cities.

Considering the big difference in purchase price and maturity of the two technologies, the Tesla is impressive...
Tesla S P85D - $US80,000-$US120,000 | Lamborghini Adventador - $390,000 | Ferrari 485 - $240,000

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
ps
The $80,000 - $120,000 for the Tesla model S was the US price, current AU$ for the P85D looks to be AU$201,000
(imported, which includes a $26,000 luxury car tax and $8695 local stamp duty!!)
Estimated petrol savings over 5 years = $14,000

Tesla Australia Price

Woot!!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
When I can get 500+ K's from one charge and have charging locations on every corner, then come back and see me.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
also whilst hi-performance EV's like Tesla are almost unmatched from 0-100kph, as can be seen in the videos above, they loose power at higher RPM. Whereas a petrol engine is the opposite.

You can see the strengths in both powerplants. Both the Tesla and Lambo apparently make the same sort of hp. Yet Tesla stomps the Lambo from standing start to maybe 160kph, but after that the Lambo destroys the Tesla. The V8 Supercar wastes the first 50 metres in wheel spin (2WD vs AWD) but once it gets traction, starts reeling the Tesla in, but it's only a very short run so the V8 doesn't get to use it's potential. Would be interesting comparing the 2 cars down conrod up to 300kph!

Having said that, Tesla is definitely impressive for anything petrol or electric powered, in particular the launch from the mark. And realistically the Tesla's optimum power range is going to be far more useful on the street. EV's will be the future (unfortunately for us petrol power lovers), Tesla has done amazing things to make electric cars practical and desirable both as daily commuters and hi-performance cars.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
When I can get 500+ K's from one charge and have charging locations on every corner, then come back and see me.

And when the P85D is about a third the price or less (currently $240k on the road in Vic). Then I'll take one over a HSV.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
3:35 - something Electric will NEVER give us unfortunately.

agreed, although unfortunately we are a dying breed.
The newer generations don't seem to appreciate the sound....

I have a 30 year old brother (he must have been adopted!!) who is big into the Tesla. He scoffs when I mention the sound of a V8 on full noise, claiming that I'm 'old' and that my kind are only a minority and fast disappearing. He's only interested in the performance figures and running costs, no longer being dictated by oil companies etc. I guess that's a sensible, logical view, but it's also a cold view, no passion...... If that's the future, then I fear our hobby will also start to die as EV's become more common

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I agree and disagree. Our passion needs to evolve, not die.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I'm just waiting for someone to release drop-in EV conversions that'll offer around 200kW so I can repower the VS. I'd build a setup myself but, well, you know, monkeyskills.