Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I smile every time I drive it..

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Might be a little off topic, but I was driving the Calais wagon today and thought to myself 'where else other than Australia would you find a big V8 shoehorned into a family station wagon?...these Holdens are very much world class cars and we will sorely miss them when they are gone..

I read a review recently and one of the terms they used to describe it was 'a ballistic box carrier'..never a truer word was spoken

We truly are in a fine age of Australian motoring :)

Anyhow I'm back to the garage for another spin...

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
and thought to myself 'where else other than Australia would you find a big V8 shoehorned into a family station wagon?.

Germany - Audi RS6 Avant
America - Dodge Magnum SRT-8
The Uk - Jaguar XFR-S

And so on

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
In all honesty Holden AND ford are horrible manufacturers. The hell cats more powerful, any Cadillac is more comfortable. So on and so forth. Sure they're ok but they aren't even in the top ten manufacturers in my opinion.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
In all honesty Holden AND ford are horrible manufacturers. The hell cats more powerful, any Cadillac is more comfortable. So on and so forth. Sure they're ok but they aren't even in the top ten manufacturers in my opinion.

SO if holden are so horrible manufacturers, why do drive one?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Agreed. Why are so many members of this forum of the opinion either that local cars are crap and/or don't care about the closure of local manufacture?

Sure, you can get better quality for the same cost but the engineering effort that has gone into local cars over the years has resulted in pretty good vehicles that were reasonably priced for what they offered. About the only thing I believe they have failed to match is the much longer warranties many manufacturere now offer as standard.

3yrs/100k is poor these days.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Agreed. Why are so many members of this forum of the opinion either that local cars are crap and/or don't care about the closure of local manufacture?

Sure, you can get better quality for the same cost but the engineering effort that has gone into local cars over the years has resulted in pretty good vehicles that were un-reasonably priced for what they offered.

You answer is in your own statement. And I added a bit for more accuracy.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your opinion Raj. Doesn't mean you're right. Same as it's my opinion and I'm no more right or wrong than you. And if they WERE unreasonably priced, how come you have owned so many?

Sometimes old son i think you just like to disagree for the hell of it. Give it a rest. It's becoming very tiresome.

Actually on reflection, it's bloody annoying. Is that what you intend?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Might be a little off topic, but I was driving the Calais wagon today and thought to myself 'where else other than Australia would you find a big V8 shoehorned into a family station wagon?...these Holdens are very much world class cars and we will sorely miss them when they are gone.....................

.. indeed!
I have had 18 V8 Holden manufactured Station wagons.. since my first (HZ Prem 5.0 version) back in the late 70s.
All were manuals ..as is the last manual V8 wagon Holden will ever build (in my R8 Tourer)

Germans build 'em .. but they are all too small to be a family wagon same thing with the poms.
The yanks build a couple but they are all fugly as or handle like ya mums sponge cake.. SOFT!
No-one does them as we do here in Oz..

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

Everything's a compromise mate and Commodore and Falcon get the price/performance, style/practicality, ride/comfort balance right to suit as many tastes as possible. Just a shame most car buyers aren't smart enough to notice any more. I think you'll find a VF SS Redline will handle/stop better than a Cadillac and a VF Calais would have better fit and finish than a Hellcat -see compromises everywhere.