Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

multimeter

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
I've honestly never heard of a multimeter with rpm.. i want one now tho :D

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've honestly never heard of a multimeter with rpm.. i want one now tho :D

there is but this one doesnt seem to think so

ivaninoz

Ivaninoz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SerIII Statesman
Rpm

Check that the INDUCTION Pick-Up leads are in the correct sockets [Holes] and then:-
The Rotary Dial has to be at the correct position,
Probably pointing to something like "RPM" "REVS" or the like.

Then the Clamp goes over ONE of the Sparkplug leads,:thumbsup:
NOT the Coil lead like someone did:bang:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check that the INDUCTION Pick-Up leads are in the correct sockets [Holes] and then:-
The Rotary Dial has to be at the correct position,
Probably pointing to something like "RPM" "REVS" or the like.

Then the Clamp goes over ONE of the Sparkplug leads,:thumbsup:
NOT the Coil lead like someone did:bang:

yep yep all fine, might try it on the lawn mower sometime and see if thats any different, you can choose between 2 and 4 stroke

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Ive got one right here, had it for a while with no problems. I haven't tried the tacho part though. You should just have to turn the dial to the left to x10RPM Then the readout should show RPM followed by three digits then a small circle with either 2 or 4 in it for 2stroke or 4 stroke. You change the 2 or 4 by pushing the red button on the top left. Then plug the black lead to com and the red lead to the right hand socket then put your inductive sensor on a plug lead and it should work.:thumbsup:
Just read my instruction manual and it says if no reading is recieved, unhook the clamp,turn it over and connect again.

Last edited:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive got one right here, had it for a while with no problems. I haven't tried the tacho part though. You should just have to turn the dial to the left to x10RPM Then the readout should show RPM followed by three digits then a small circle with either 2 or 4 in it for 2stroke or 4 stroke. You change the 2 or 4 by pushing the red button on the top left. Then plug the black lead to com and the red lead to the right hand socket then put your inductive sensor on a plug lead and it should work.:thumbsup:
Just read my instruction manual and it says if no reading is recieved, unhook the clamp,turn it over and connect again.

yep yep done all that, when i have it all connected and turn the multimeter off and turn it back on it starts reading then after a second it the numbers start to go back down to zero, thanks for your reply:thumbsup:
if you wouldnt mind could you please test yours to see if it works thanks

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Multimeter tacho test

I just went out and tried my tacho and it works on the RPM setting, but only showed about 350 RPM at 1500 RPM when it was on the X10RPM. It looks like the RPM setting is for up to 3000RPM. It only worked with the inductive pickup sitting with the bit that opens to the top. I found that the tacho was slow to react when i gave it a rev, but would eventually show a true reading if i held the revs at a constant speed.:thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
I just went out and tried my tacho and it works on the RPM setting, but only showed about 350 RPM at 1500 RPM when it was on the X10RPM. It looks like the RPM setting is for up to 3000RPM. It only worked with the inductive pickup sitting with the bit that opens to the top. I found that the tacho was slow to react when i gave it a rev, but would eventually show a true reading if i held the revs at a constant speed.:thumbsup:

ok thanks heaps for that, what did you have the sensitivity set at on the pick up, did you have the spark plug lead sitting up against the pickup or in the centre of the hole not touching it, if you know what i mean

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I tried the sensitivity on both low and high and it worked the same on both settings. The plug lead was running through the centre of the hole and not really touching the pickup:drink: