Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Terminal Buildup...driving me nuts!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
OK, question for those who know a bit more about electrics than I do...

What the hell is that white furry buildup of corrosion on the battery terminals! Well, I know what it is, but how do I stop it coming back!

It is only on our old '82 Rodeo ute...only on the negative terminal of the battery.

I have tried everything to stop it...cleaned the cable end thoroughly, put a new battery terminal on it, those little felt pads under the terminals, caked it with vasoline, the lot...still, after a month or so, it comes back. Only on the negative terminal. Good old baking soda and vinegar get rid of it completely, but no matter how religiously I clean everything up, it always comes back.

Any ideas on what might be causing it?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
have you tried that blue/orangy spray on stuff you can get at autobarn etc

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
how old is the battery? it might be on its way out. get the inox spray mentioned by andyman.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I use good old grease. thats all and get no corrosion at all

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Its a build up of contaimniants... problems are that it will inhibit your battery from carrying charge due to the fact it is not a conductor of electricity.

To REMOVE:

*Prepare a solution of Hot water and bicarb soda (no specific ratio required)
*Mix throughly
*Pour over infected areas (preferly with batter out of car!
*After everything has been dissolved (white stuff i mean) IMMEDIATELY! wash down the sareas which were covered in any bicarb soda. Wash the area throughly! It is easier to do this with the battery out of the car! It just a bitch to get off when dry is all... its not gonna eat your coar or some stupid ****.

To PREVENT:
*Wire brush you terminals using a wire brush or low grit sanding paper
*Sold at any local autobarhn,repco or super cheap should be a product which sprays over your terminals and connectors. Its blue and and im pretty sure its a spray. It inhibits the "white stuff" from coming back... if you cant find it, ask you mechanic to just give your terminals a quick spray with the ****... they usually have it around.

aZk.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
yep, bicarb soda and boiling water is the best stuff for removing the white corrosive buildup.

best way to do it is get a teaspoon full and dump it on top of the terminal, then slowly pour boiling water over it and watch it fizzle away.
To prevent it from coming back, do what others have suggested with the blue spray, or coat the terminals with vasealine after you have cleaned the terminals :thumbsup:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yeah we get that on our fleet cars at work, only way to stop it coming back is use that blue spray mentioned above

Emporer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8
if it keeps coming back regularly get your alternator checked i hear that can cause the terminals to ice up ...

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
WD-40 is pretty much the same thing as INOXX, to save yourself spending the dosh on INOXX, give WD-40 a go first, if that works then you're alright.

Only difference is that INOXX is a lanoline based product and its anti-corrosive is slightly better. INOXX is used mostly for boats for that very reason.