Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where would you look for a automotive job?

Coupe 4

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV COUPE 4
Hi Guys.

I hope you guys (especially anyone working in or wanting to work in the auto trade) can help me out. If you were looking for a new job in the automotive industry, where would you look?

My dilemma is, that i have advertised for installers/fitters on MyCareer and Seek, and through a job agency, yet we have had no luck finding potential employees with some knowledge, aptitude and interest in cars.

So guys and gals, where would you look for an advertised automotive job (tradies not engineers)?

Regards,
Coupe 4

Last edited:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
The paper (classifieds), seek.com, sites like that.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You are obviously looking for someone, how about the old fashioned sign in the window?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Where abouts are you located mate? I'm interested if it's in Victoria

Coupe 4

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV COUPE 4
The paper (classifieds), seek.com, sites like that.
hmm we haven't had much luck on seek at all. We actually received more calls from agencies.

As for the paper, do you look in your local or only the Major's? We tried The Age in Victoria for a little while, but very few people responded.

You are obviously looking for someone, how about the old fashioned sign in the window?
Yes i am. I'm actually looking for 2 people. Preferably one with some experience to at least hit the gound walking(running would be great too), and one with passion and great attitude that we would be willing to train. We are at a stage now where we are starting to look for out of the box ideas when it comes to recruiting. That's why i thought i would ask you guys for some ideas.

At this stage i'm willing to try. Thanks for the reminder.

Where abouts are you located mate? I'm interested if it's in Victoria
Eastern suburbs, Blackburn/Nunawading way. PM me if you are seriously interested in a trade job. ;)

Thanks for the help so far guys, is there anything else or anything more specific you can think off? I would appreciate the help and to learn how auto trade job seekers are thinking.

Coupe 4.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
It seems to be getting very hard to find people thru classifieds and job adverts these days. Weve been having difficulty for a couple of years now finding suitable employees thru adverts so weve started churning thru people from the labour hire companies (Adecco, Skilled etc) until you get a good one. Its hard finding good workers out of these people but you get to churn them over fast until you do find who you are after because you dont have to worry about paperwork, you just fire the slack/incompetent ones and order replacements the next day until you find the good ones and offer them the permanent positions.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
As for the paper, do you look in your local or only the Major's? We tried The Age in Victoria for a little while, but very few people responded.

When i'm bored and decide to read the local rag, i'll flip through the job classifieds, there seems to be more jobs aimed at the younger generation in the local paper anyway. The Age tends to have more jobs for very experienced people i have noticed.

The POSITIONS VACANT section of local papers seem to have heaps of jobs for younger girls and boys.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
well im currently looking for a job in the automotive industry but im in nsw.. and at the monent the only real jobs i could find to apply for are with jobsearch and a couple in the local paper.

but most of the time if u really want a passionate person 90% of the time its the person who walks off the street and asks for a job as they want to work for U not that they just saw the ad and want a job and cars might be cool lol

Coupe 4

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV COUPE 4
It seems to be getting very hard to find people thru classifieds and job adverts these days. Weve been having difficulty for a couple of years now finding suitable employees thru adverts so weve started churning thru people from the labour hire companies (Adecco, Skilled etc) until you get a good one. Its hard finding good workers out of these people but you get to churn them over fast until you do find who you are after because you dont have to worry about paperwork, you just fire the slack/incompetent ones and order replacements the next day until you find the good ones and offer them the permanent positions.
I agree with you, the last 2 years, especially, have been difficult finding quality applicants.

Thanks for your input J_D. ;)

When i'm bored and decide to read the local rag, i'll flip through the job classifieds, there seems to be more jobs aimed at the younger generation in the local paper anyway. The Age tends to have more jobs for very experienced people i have noticed.

The POSITIONS VACANT section of local papers seem to have heaps of jobs for younger girls and boys.
We are looking for an experienced worker and a trainee, so age isn't our biggest concern. One of our prerequisites is they must have a licence and can drive manuals. At the moment it is difficult to find people with a half descent attitude, work ethic and a little bit of initiative.

We don't grind people into the ground like some places, but we do expect people to step up when required.

well im currently looking for a job in the automotive industry but im in nsw.. and at the monent the only real jobs i could find to apply for are with jobsearch and a couple in the local paper.

but most of the time if u really want a passionate person 90% of the time its the person who walks off the street and asks for a job as they want to work for U not that they just saw the ad and want a job and cars might be cool lol

Maybe jobsearch is another option. Thanks, just signed up to this today.

Good luck with your job hunting VLDavo.

Perhaps there is too many options for job seekers over the past 18months or so, as we have not had 1 person come in off the street asking for a job in that time. Advert responses have been very very low. Is employment in Victoria or even country wide really that strong at the moment?

I wonder if any of the online networking sites are worthwile? Can anyone comment on that?

Regards,
Coupe 4

blownba

Reaction score
I am having the same problem mate.
I am in Wantirna and am looking for a experienced mechanic/ LPG fitter, RWC tester and A/C mechanic.
Now obviously I am not gonna get anyone with all that experience cause like myself most guys that are qualified in all those areas go out on there own (like myself)
All I keep getting is dealership duds that say that they are willing to learn and give you their all but just end up giving me additude and grief.
Even the VACC are useless for employee's and apprentices.
Like someone said earlier the local paper can work well and most of the shops in my area advertise in there.
It just seems to be a massive skills shortage at the moment and all most of the joints I know of keep getting young guys that are just too interested in themselves and don't seem to be interested in bettering themselves.
I have heaps of time for guys that are willing to learn and give it a go, heck I will even pay for all the training they want and all the coursesect. But I just keep getting duds.
The last mechanic I got in was a qualified guy about 6 years out of his time but he was from a dealership and had lost intersest in being a good mechanic and was too scared to have a go at new things if he didn't know much about it. I paid for him to do his licenced vehicle tester examination and the IDIOT left it till the last day to hand in his modules so he tries to get me to do it for him in MY time but I would only guide him. He got 28 of the 40 something questions wrong but the teachers still said he could sit the test and the IDIOT didn't bother organising it so he didn't pass and needless to say I lost the $600.
He didn't last long after that.
The worst is when you get some young kid that is more interested in telling you how to do things and wan't to be in the office all the time trying to tell us how things should be done. I could throttle guys like that.
Anyway soory for the rant its just something that gets my goat.
I have given up now and its just me and a young guy that is 1 year qualified and we are so bloody rushed I am there from 6;30 in the morning to 8,9,10 at night most nights and Sundays to keep up.
If you happen to find two guys and you don't need one can you give me a call?????