Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Installation (Surprise surprise...)

Milquetoast

I'm gettin' it...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hello all...
I do believe this is my first post here, so I should qualify for at least three stupid questions before anyone forms an opinion! I have been sent here by a mate who swears by this forum, and from what I have read, he is correct. Y'all seem to know your stuff!

Okay...

Dumb question 1:

I have done about 43 searches on this site and other to see whether or not anyone has a detailed tutuorial on doing a complete install in a VR commodore. I have not found one, so my question is... Does one exist? I found the H/U install post, and am gonna get my H/U in this weekend... but I would love to be able to get all my speakers and amp in as well!
I am really quite illiterate when it comes to commodores. I have installed a fairly neat unit in my old '87 Magna, but I can't even see a way to get the door trims off of my VR!

Anyhow, any help in regards to how to get at the pods both front and rear would be fantastic. I would even be happy with a pretentious redirecting to another thread... as long as I can get my fronts and rears installed.

Thanks.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
First up mate, there are no rear door speakers to my knowledge for the VR. They are in the rear parcel shelf. You will find to interesting catches at the front of the back seat. With your hand in the catch use your knee to push the seat back and lift up. The seat should then come away. Tehn there will be two or three small 10mm(I think) bolts holding the rear back rest in place and the two side cushions if fitted. Pop out the little plastic retainer holding the middle seat belt in place and remove it. You will then find a series of small grey push in clips that need to be removed. Some of them can be pushed out from inside the boot and the rest you will need to lever out by hand. I like to use my wire cutters opened wide and lever them out. Be careful as they do snap easily but can be replaced by the wreckers or your nearest Repco and other such places. Now wrestle the parcel shelf out. and you will see a pair of 6" speakers sitting on brackets mounted up in the air. Drop your new speakers in place and then follow a reversal of the procedure I just gave you.

Now, the slightly trickier ones. The front door speakers.

First off, prise out the long plastic cover that sits in the handle (you know the one where people hang onto and scream oh **** and you flick the arse end around?) Inside is two screw. Take em out ;) Next step is removing the little red plastic peice on the door locks. It looks ok, but it holds the snip in place so it must come out. I tend to use a jewellers screwdriver to remove it. Be careful as it does damage easily. Pull of the lock and voila, another bloody screw!

Now along the bottom of the door(stick your head underneath) you will see three (?) screw that need removing as well.

Don't forget all the screw that hold the airconditioning vents in place either!

Now, put on your spandex shorts and lycra body suit and make stupid WWF/WWE wreslter noises and poses and wrestle that door skin off! and hey presto! another speaker! w00t!

Now, if you want to install a pair of splits (which I recommend as they sound tops!) then you will need to remove the air vents that run along the bottom of the windscreen There is about 3 screw hidden inbetween the vents, pull em out but don't drop them because if want to goto the effort of getting them back.....you will be back here asking for dash removal advice! I think there maybe ONE screw on the sides of the dash holding it in place but I don't think so. Now, lift up the outside edge of the vent and pull it away from the centre of the car and it will pop out quite nicely. On the end of the plastic you will see a "fake" vent. Using a stanley knife slice out the bits of vent that Holden "forgot" too. Behind where that sits, there should either be a screw hole or a little Z bracket. Mount the tweeter onto this and then put the vent back in place and hey presto! You got a fully sick sound system in the sick VR mate thats like fully sick! Ey mate? Yeah mate.

Oh yeah, under the glove box is flimsy peice of black plastic. I like to remove that and mount the crossovers onto that if I'm installing splits.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Bow to me :lol:

j/k ;)

Milquetoast

I'm gettin' it...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks heaps for this. I will set to work when I have a spare couple of hours.

I assume that this method means that I'll be using the existing speaker wire? Otherwise I thought that I would have to remove the dash anyways to get the power through to the amp and the RCA's running from the H/U to the amp.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
oi duderus

are you just going to use the spacers for the 6x9's?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
6x9s? Where were they mentioned?

You don't need to remove any part of the dash to run your power cable through. Search the forum for something along the lines "Running power cable in a VS" there was one just recently that was fairly detailed. Remember don't run RCAs beside your power wire.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
12Voltking said:
6x9s? Where were they mentioned?

You don't need to remove any part of the dash to run your power cable through. Search the forum for something along the lines "Running power cable in a VS" there was one just recently that was fairly detailed. Remember don't run RCAs beside your power wire.

they weren't mentioned in the thread. inside info ;)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Well perhaps they should've been mentioned as that would change my post and add more work ;) Oh well, not my loss

Milquetoast

I'm gettin' it...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
While frantically searching the forum, I found heaps of stuff that highlighted the difficulties of getting the 6x9's in, so I was either gonna grab some fairly attractive looking spacers from autobarn (they wanted $100 for the things!!!!) or just spring for some 6"s. At this stage, I am more interested in working out whether or not I can do the job. I can't afford to screw it up. I've got some reasonable quotes for install, but I am still looking at getting an SV6 at the end of next year, so I'm in two minds as to whether or not I need a lifetime warranty on a proffessional install. :bang:
The last thing I need, however, is my car in 739 pieces on the lawn with me standing over the ruins looking for the red wire.
As I mentioned, VH-Holden and I manhandled the system into an '87 magna... but that was pretty easy. This one has me baffled.