Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yes, It was the ABS Module

R

RichardACampbell

After putting up with for 2 months of major disruptions to module serial comms which resulted in most of the warning lights coming up on the dashboard and the air conditioner not turning on, I took the plunge and had the ABS module replaced. This seems to have fixed the problem so I thought I would let everyone know in case they have the same problem one day.

The key indications seemed to be:-

1. Some warnings such as airbag, engine system would come on first.
2. Later the ABS would come on followed 1 to 10 seconds later by low oil opressure and a cold engine temperature reading.
3. If the ABS module is disconnected while the oil warning ligh is on, it goes out.
4. "error" on the odometer on starting.
5. The rasiator fans would run full speed.

After lurking a while on this NG and observing the symptoms I made my move. Thanks to "Dr Bob" (I think that was his sign on) who said all along that the ABS module.

The auto electrician was very skeptical but after trying everything else (there was another VT in his workshop) got an ABS module in for me.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
im glad you worked it out,,,,,,,,,,dr bob is a pretty smart man...he will be helping me out next thurday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good old dr bob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well done im glad it all worked for you

sparkymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I have the same problem and have put off fixing it due to the cost. I have had quotes from $900 by Holden to $700 by a service manager at Holden who will do it at home for cash. I was wondering how much did it cost you.

R

RichardACampbell

I stayed away from Holden for that very reason. It's also the reason that I lived with it for a while, I wanted to be sure to replace the right module first time. I think the module was just over $500 and the total cost was $750 with labour and GST.

I suspect that it is not an uncommon problem. Pehaps Holden would diagnose the problem more quickly, they should have seen more cases than anyone else. I get the impression that there is quite a bit of guess work even for them though. They like to say otherwise of course.

They (Holden) need to get their act together on diagnostic tools and field support for the electronics in their cars. Hopefully one day some meaningful diagnostic information will be available on a dashnboard LCD or at least a diagnostic program that runs under Windows or Windows Mobile (perhaps even via Bluetooth).

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
abs modules go any were from $ 50 and $ 15o not a lot more....give ebay a look....i wouldnt pay holden new prices. there has been a few abs that come out of cars with very low ks ....if you lucky you could do it yourself and save heaps.......holden ==your money means a lot to holden ( but you sure dont)............................cheers......have a great week end..............ps if you in melb there is a guy wrecking his vt and he is close to me if you would like his number let me know....he may have an abs unit?

J

jond

Hi, I just had the same problem. The abs connector pins are silver plated. If you look closely, you'll see the that there is some light corrosion on the pins. (look for the difference in the scratch marks where the connector pins have slid off).

Try using a 'connector cleaning spray' available from Dick Smith or any other electriconics store. (Don't use an oil based spray, becuase this will lead to more long team electrical problems.)

I didn't have a spray available but used 1200 grit wet and dry. I very, very lightly rubbed the pins to remove the oxidization.

Also, before you start, remove the battery negative wire and wait a few minutes. This will minimise any chances of the airbags going off. (as per the normal proceedure when working on the electrics of any car these days)

good luck.

Jaybee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTAcclaim
Ive had abs module replaced on my vt 6 weeks ago , past 2 weeks the abs ,trac control lights have come on 4 times how long these modules supposed to last ??.turn the engine off and restart and they stay off ,but are they working ??? . As mentioned before on this subject Holden needs to get their act together on their diagnostics
jaybee

Nimzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
jond said:
Hi, I just had the same problem. The abs connector pins are silver plated. If you look closely, you'll see the that there is some light corrosion on the pins. (look for the difference in the scratch marks where the connector pins have slid off).

Try using a 'connector cleaning spray' available from Dick Smith or any other electriconics store. (Don't use an oil based spray, becuase this will lead to more long team electrical problems.)

I didn't have a spray available but used 1200 grit wet and dry. I very, very lightly rubbed the pins to remove the oxidization.

Also, before you start, remove the battery negative wire and wait a few minutes. This will minimise any chances of the airbags going off. (as per the normal proceedure when working on the electrics of any car these days)

good luck.

Jond, did this fix the problem????

Buggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Standard MY9.5 :(
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info, it is very appreciated. But I have a simple question. I can see my ABS module electronics have failed. How difficult is it to replace? Can I do it myself.

Thanks
Bug

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info, it is very appreciated. But I have a simple question. I can see my ABS module electronics have failed. How difficult is it to replace? Can I do it myself.

Thanks
Bug
If you are just replacing the control module, it is fairly easy. Just make sure you only touch that, if you touch the hydraulic modulator then you'll most likely have to bleed the system and then fill and pressurise your brake system. If you plan to change the modulator with the control module (the whole box) then there's a bit more work involved.

Depending on the tools you have you will probably be only able to change the control module yourself. The brake system is harder.