Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body 100% open HOW-TO

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok this is for everyone of you that likes free horsepower.
There's a well known problem with the VN's and that is the throttle bodies don't open all the way, some open close to 100% others I've heard are 20% out. Anyway here's how you fix it.

Pictures 1 and 2 are the stopper on the throttle body, grind it untill the butterfly opens 100% (it's best to do this with the throttle body off the car so you can get a good look at it and be sure it's straight) In the picture mine has allready been ground down but stock that block has no notch in it (except the VP one which holden fixed somewhat in the factory)

Picture 3 is the butterfly fully 100% open : ) the camera was on an angle but trust me, it's spot on

Picture 4, once my thottle body was open all the way I came across a new problem, that the idle screw stopper was bashing into my kickdown cable and the cable was too tight, so I ground that too and made it smoothed on the the edges so it wouldn't hurt the cable if it ever did hit it (but it can't reach now). I also adjusted the cable so it wasn't stopping the butterfly opening 100%

Ok that's it : ) I rekon with that and a memcal and a CAI all your VN's should be easily in the 15's on the 1/4 mile

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 6,011
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 5,307
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 5,418
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 4,566
Last edited:
R

rattattack1313

Very goood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now a sticky !!)...... :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I got bored with grinding my divided plenum manifold (which is just about ready to get welded up and bolted on) and needed a break : ), I've talked about that throttle body stopper alot but no one seemed to take notice. I think it was all a bit fuzzy trying to explain exactly what was wrong. They say a picture is more worthy :)

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Can you please show me where you have grinded like circle it or something =)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No, because I'm going back to the shed now :p, but someone else might explain it. Or you can go out to your car and open the throttle body with your hand and you'll see how it works and what makes it stop at it's full travel, then you will be enlightened

I have an idea, if you draw a crosshair on the first two pictures you'll find the stopper that I've ground down, since it's in the center of both pictures

T

tarantula

dose this matter with the vr modle? sicne the engines are neer identical?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Hi Greenfoam, What is the cable leading to the passenger side for? Is it cruise control?
I don't have this cable on my car. I am doing the grinding as my throttle only opens 85% if that. Thanks for pics and info,

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Pretender said:
Hi Greenfoam, What is the cable leading to the passenger side for? Is it cruise control?
I don't have this cable on my car. I am doing the grinding as my throttle only opens 85% if that. Thanks for pics and info,

Yeah I have cruise, I'm pretty sure all GL Lexcens came with cruise control, where did yours go?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you guys don't have a die grinder you can use a file for this job, just makes it take longer :)