Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Divided Plenum Manifold HOW-TO

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok here we go,

First of all this manifold is a bit/alot of a compromise, I would much rather have a split manifold with looong 10 15 or even 20 inch runners hanging out over each rocker cover with a throttle body on each plenum, then My VN would be straight in the 14 second bracket with no other modifications but that's a big job.

So since a proper tuned manifold like that is hard to come by, I thought might as well try a simple divider first, worst case is I'll gain some low speed torque and loose a bit on the top end and if It doesn't make alot of difference I'll cut the whole top off the manifold and start making that proper tuned design I talked about at first : ).

Ok here's how to make a divided manifold

Picture 1.

This is the aftermath of me going sick with a common angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel attached, I cut straight along the top of the manifold and down the front as far as I could go without cutting into the base of the manifold. (be careful and use your glasses) also use a can of spray on canola cooking oil to help cut alloy : ) helps with die grinding the stuff anyway.

Picture 2.

Same thing from the back.

Picture 3.

This is the bit of cardboard I used for a template, bit of scissor work to get it just right but this goes with the manifold to the engineers (today) so he can cut a sheet of aluminium the same size and weld the manifold back together for me

Picture 4.

Template installed.

Picture 5.

Again from the front.

Also I will be making a divider for the bend so it's divided all the way up the the throttle body just to see what effect that has. With and without it. (I saw an aftermarket mustang manifold like that and it made lots more power)

That's it : ) now I just need to get it welded up and some gaskets, I hope to have it on the car on the weekend or if not then sometime next week. I've also done some porting in the runners around where the injector plugs in because there was some nasty over engineering there so I got rid of some of the casting. The saga will continue later : )

Attachments

• Manifold_1.jpg
    Manifold_1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Manifold_2.jpg
    Manifold_2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Manifold_3.jpg
    Manifold_3.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 967
  • Manifold_4.jpg
    Manifold_4.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Manifold_5.jpg
    Manifold_5.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 1,386
Last edited:

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
cool, post away man. i am interested in this project.

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
LOL @ FOAM along each side of the manifold. did it take you long to engrave that into the sides?

But some interesting angle grinding there man, your not kidding when you said you went sick with it ;)

Cant wait to see this manifold all welded up and running, hurry up and get it on the block :D

Good work man

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
hmmm ... firstly ill say i love your diy attitude greenfoam you never seise to amaze me

i dunno about the idea thow wouldn't it essentially restrict airflow... anyway cant wait to see it finished and the results

i do think your tuned twin tb idea would be good cut the whole top off and go for it i say but i spose since you have started this one you may as well finish it and see what happens

GJ

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
vinnywelsh said:
LOL @ FOAM along each side of the manifold. did it take you long to engrave that into the sides?

But some interesting angle grinding there man, your not kidding when you said you went sick with it ;)

Cant wait to see this manifold all welded up and running, hurry up and get it on the block :D

Good work man

It's only along one side :) I just got bored and need a break while smooth the ports and I happened to have the die grinder in my hand allready so... FOAM it was. I'll be painting the manifold black and the fuel rails and alloy water hose may well be polished. FOAM will be lime green, it'll look fast even if it's not :p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
HDT_aero said:
hmmm ... firstly ill say i love your diy attitude greenfoam you never seise to amaze me

i dunno about the idea thow wouldn't it essentially restrict airflow... anyway cant wait to see it finished and the results

i do think your tuned twin tb idea would be good cut the whole top off and go for it i say but i spose since you have started this one you may as well finish it and see what happens

GJ

It's all a bit complicated how this is supposed to work but I've done a million simulations and depending on the software it can gain huge torque everywhere or a little on the bottom end or a decent amount on the bottom and loose on the top. I'm thinking I'll gain 15nm on the bottom end and loose 7 or so through the top end but that's worst case : ) it could suprise me. It's such an easy thing to try I couldn't resist. If you stare at the firing order long enough you can imagine the pulses with the divider in there helping quite a bit but then again I could just have a good imagination. I'm placing alot of trust in David Vizard master engine building because he keeps saying how well V6's respond to being split in half and run as two seperate engines. I probably should also have this dudes book but I don't :/

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/scdeofexinsy.html

The long runner manifold yes that would be 100% certain to make huge torque and power increases right across the rev range but yeah, very complicated to weld up :)

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
hrmm im very interested to see what difference it makes, it it is good this should be made sticky... sticky

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
You scored a Sticky!
Nice Work Jason, Can't wait to see more figures/results.

Cheers
MaT

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Why has this got a sticky before it's tested :)?