Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Warranty Benchmark - 8yrs Infinite Km

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Tesla raises the bar for their liability regarding reliability of the electric car, makes automotive history:

Tesla CEO said:
The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
"doing the right thing "

That's refreshing.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
HT_tesla_fire_jtm_131003_16x9_992.jpg

BYanNC1IEAAKEzD-660.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
If you know anything about them at all, you know the fire issues were fixed VERY quickly after affecting hardly any cars. In fact with such a low risk of it happening, you won't find any other manufacturer that made immediate updates to ALL their cars for free for all owners.

I don't understand everyone watching Tesla hoping they'll fail. They're already more successful then pretty much any production car since the invention of the internal combustion engine. The Model S is revolutionary, not evolutionary. The first mainstream leap in car technology in over 100 years.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you know anything about them at all, you know the fire issues were fixed VERY quickly after affecting hardly any cars. In fact with such a low risk of it happening, you won't find any other manufacturer that made immediate updates to ALL their cars for free for all owners.

Please tell Boeing....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Safety recalls are free for all owners regardless of the manufacturer. Since they have a fleet of #### all cars it's hardly surprising it was fixed quickly :)

I don't understand everyone watching Tesla hoping they'll fail.

TBH I really don't care either way.
They're already more successful then pretty much any production car since the invention of the internal combustion engine.

Ummmmm wow - huge claim there. Entirely depends on how you measure success I suppose :bang:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I'm waiting for an affordable one with more ground clearance, then when I win the lottery as well.........

It's a 70km round trip for fuel here so a 'refuel' at home makes sense and I've had to stop visiting mates who live down 'tracks' since I changed from a 4wd Subie to a standard height Commo wagon.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Safety recalls are free for all owners regardless of the manufacturer. Since they have a fleet of #### all cars it's hardly surprising it was fixed quickly :)

My point wasn't about the cost...

TBH I really don't care either way.

So you commented, why? :blah blah:

Ummmmm wow - huge claim there. Entirely depends on how you measure success I suppose :bang:

This sums it up quite nicely... And provides a few laughs along the way.
What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - The Oatmeal

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My point wasn't about the cost...

Correct. It was about safety recalls which all manufacturers are obligated to do (some are more forthcoming on the subject than others)

So you commented, why? :blah blah:

To demonstrate a lack of bias either way. You said "everyone". Well I'm at least one that has no desire to see them fail. Not so hard to understand is it?

This sums it up quite nicely... And provides a few laughs along the way.
What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - The Oatmeal

Cool story.... Lots of nice stuff there too..... "more successful then pretty much any production car since the invention of the internal combustion engine"? No. Not by a long shot.