Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Warning: "Service Engine Oil" - Anyone else had it?

N

nickbalcombe99

G'Day All,

Got into my VZ S ute yesterday arvo, switched it on and got a 'Service Engine Oil' warning (complete with graphic). :ranting:

Pulled over and checked the Manual but it says nothing about it, so I drove straight to Holden. They said it is a programming error and only comes up once in a car's lifetime. They did some kind of reset and that was that, which was good considering I only had the car serviced in November...

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what advice have you received?

Cheers,

Nick

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
It happens every 5000 odd kms with my V8.
I don't know exactly why it comes on as the service guys would only say it was a program glitch.
I believe it must be caused by low oil pressure but in what circumstances I can only guess. :b: If it comes on again I will be installing an oil pressure gauge to find out exactly.
Dont worry about it as this is what warranty is for.
Cheers
Daza

N

nickbalcombe99

Ahh no worries - they said it won't come on again but I guess time will tell. As long as its not doing any damage to the engine. The only problem is, the warranty will run out one day!

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
i too have a VZ S Ute and had the same thing .... i had my 30,000km service and about 2 weeks later this comes up .... so i was a bit suprised ....

had a look in the manual and it mentions low out pressure and level etc but nothing about servicing it ... rang holden and they said yeah bring it in when you can, beep beep beep on the mode buttons etc and its reset, have 38,000km's now and still haven't seen it again and haven't had any issues.

if i had have known it was a simple reset of the dash i would have done it myself!!!

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Yep common problem

I had it happen twice ...at about 4000km and 16000km.

Just check your engine oil level and if its OK keep using driving it until you can take it past a dealer for the beep beep beep push button re-set.

They told me a new cluster flash program is coming out in late Jan/early Feb that is meant to get rid of the bug.

funfernickle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My sv6 got this same message around 500k's after the 30,000km service. I'm glad I'm not alone :D

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The revised flash should be available feb sometime, it will be different in each car as it is determined by average speeds, driving style & oil temp etc.
it is a simple warning only & has no other affect other than being annoying

Rob

J

Jason Hill

Same happened on my VZ 1000 kms before a service. It's the service reminder this will clear it.
1. Press & hold up & down buttons (under mode & set buttons) while turning key until a beep is heard.
2. Reset oil is displayed.
3. Press set on trip until beep is heard (8-10 secs).
4. Press set button to reset other service items.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I'm not sayin this is the problem or solution, but it's interesting anyway. The HFV6 is a tricky bit of machinery, in the sense that it "measures" how hard you drive, and adjusts the time at which the oil light comes on accordingly. For instance, if you drive ya car hard all the time, the light will come on sooner, ie. less km's. If ya take it real easy all the time, it wont come on for a long time, ie. more km's. Nifty huh.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
I had this problem just after my 30,000km service too - bout 800km after it. Clear service reminder trick soon fixed that though :)