Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2018 V8 *update*

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
ACCORDING to Joshua Dowling, the iconic Chevrolet Corvette sports car is heading for Holden showrooms to become the brand’s hero car once manufacturing comes to an end in 2017.

The boss of General Motors’ international division, Stefan Jacoby — the man who in December 2013 made the tough call to close the Elizabeth assembly line — told Australian media in Detroit that Holden will have a “halo model” after the V8 Commodore dies.

Mr Jacoby stopped short of confirming which car it will be, but there are only two V8 performance vehicles in the GM line-up that could possibly fit: the new Chevrolet Camaro or the next version of the Corvette.“We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand Holden,” said Mr Jacoby. “It will be something which fulfils the requirement of a true Holden sports car.”

Beyond that, Mr Jacoby was coy about giving any further details other than it will be a V8 and arrive in 2018.

This means that although V8 versions of the homegrown Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore may be reaching the end of the road forever, both will be replaced by iconic US muscle cars.

Ford is due to release the Mustang at the end of this year priced from $50,000 while the Corvette is not due in Australian showrooms until 2018, the year after the Holden factory closes in Elizabeth.

There is one catch however. The flagship version of the Corvette will likely have a price close to $100,000 — the same as a current HSV GTS sedan — by the time exchange rates and shipping costs are taken into account.

The next Commodore is a front-wheel-drive fleet sedan from Germany with a choice of four-cylinder or V6 power — just like the Toyota Camry.

At the unveiling of the current Chevrolet Corvette in Detroit in January 2013, the then boss of General Motors Dan Akerson told News Corp Australia the sports-car would be made in right-hand-drive and would be coming to Australia “soon”.

But less than 24 hours later his second-in-command Tim Lee, at the time the head of GM’s international operations, said: “I have no idea what (General Motors CEO Dan Akerson) said but we have no plan to put a right-hand-drive under that bonnet. The Corvette is a Chevrolet, it’s not a Holden, it never will be, next question.”

When Mr Lee was asked how two senior executives with intimate knowledge of the company could make such a faux-pas about the Corvette, Mr Lee said: “I recognise what my boss said, I recognise what (the chief engineer) said, I am telling you as the operating guy in charge there is no plan. I respect my boss, I love my boss. But I think he was giving you an exhortation.”

When pressed again on how such a senior colleague could get such key facts wrong during a media presentation, Mr Lee said during a roundtable interview: “We can spend the entire 20 minutes talking about this. This is a non-story from my point of view. You can write what you want to write.”

At the Corvette unveiling, when asked if the new model would be made in right-hand drive, the boss of General Motors Dan Akerson told News Corp Australia “yes”. When asked when, he replied “soon”.

The chief engineer of the new Corvette, Tadje Juechter, then said: “We want the Corvette to come to Australia. I get letters from Australia all the time. Our primary competition sells left- and right-hand-drive, so that’s what we want to do. Our plan is to make this a truly global car.”

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I feel like they don't get the Aussie market. Most people I know don't want a sports car or muscle coupe. They want a big family car that has enough power for a bit of fun when the missus isn't around, like the commodore and the falcon. Or a work car with the same benefit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Either someone at GM is lying or none of them have any clue as to what is going on.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I feel like they don't get the Aussie market. Most people I know don't want a sports car or muscle coupe. They want a big family car that has enough power for a bit of fun when the missus isn't around, like the commodore and the falcon. Or a work car with the same benefit.

Na... I want a Corvette! :D

I doubt it will happen though. Methinks the "halo" model will be a Camaro.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I doubt most of us will be able to afford a Corvette sadly, and yes they are definitely a different class of car to the Commodore / Camaro.

I wish it was the new Cadillacs they were going to bring out here to sway people away from the Euro sedans!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmmm, a Mustang for $50,000 or a Corvette for $100,000........anyone else thinking of getting an account at justmustangs.com.au?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hmmm, a Mustang for $50,000 or a Corvette for $100,000........anyone else thinking of getting an account at justmustangs.com.au?

Be prepared for a lot of disappointment in any Mustang at a $50k price point ;)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

Someone forget that the entry level Mustang is a 4 cylinder Eco boost for 50K???

And in the UK they only get the 4 cylinder option, I feel sorry for them.... almost

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
A bloke I know just bought a 2015 Roush Mustang. 600kw, supercharged, manual. I think it would have cost a bit more than $50,000 :smoking:

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
no v8 ute so who cares