Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Major shake up in Supercars

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Motorsport: Walkinshaw to blame for HRT's struggle - Sport - NZ Herald News

Holden Racing Team's loss of factory support is the result of poor decisions by the team's owner, an ex-Holden motorsport boss has claimed.

John Crennan, who guided the HRT and Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) operations for two decades from 1991, says Walkinshaw Racing boss Ryan Walkinshaw is to blame for the decline of Supercars' most successful team.

On Tuesday, Holden announced they would only provide factory funding for the Triple Eight Race Engineering outfit owned by Roland Dane from next year onwards.

It brings an end to a 26-year relationship between Holden and Walkinshaw Racing which resulted in six drivers' championships and seven Bathurst 1000 wins.

Crennan says Walkinshaw has made "monumental mistakes" since inheriting ownership of the team following the death of his father Tom in 2010.

Crennan, who is currently working as a consultant for American giant Roger Penske's Australian operations, says among Walkinshaw's mistakes is an outspoken presence on social media and not moving from England to Australia to oversee operations.

He also says the poaching of respected team manager Adrian Burgess from Dane's team in 2013 put Walkinshaw in his fellow Englishman's crosshairs.

"His appointment of Adrian Burgess created an intense enemy in Roland Dane whose experience, influence and guile to my mind was always going to see a monster come back at some point," Crennan told motorsports website Speedcafe.com.

"It worried me at the time and I thought there would be a reset on that at some point."

In the wake of Holden's announcement, Walkinshaw has committed to racing a two-car team in next year's Supercars championship.

While partnering with a new manufacturer, such as Japanese brand Toyota, has been mooted, Crennan believes associating the team with the name of legendary driver Peter Brock could be the key going forward.

"I would be seeking to gain permission from the Brock family to use the Brock name and I would have that seen as a memorial to Peter Brock so that the Brock name could live on with his connection to HDT (Holden Dealer Team) and HRT," Crennan said.

Motorsport: Nissan expected to follow Holden's lead - Sport - NZ Herald News

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ryan Walkinshaw sadly had big boots to fill when his dad passed away , unfortunate but not altogether surprising .

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have to LOL at the prospect of Walkinshaw seeking to use the Brock name. Good luck with that one :lmao:

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Piss supercars off all together, go to GT racing,

as seeing there'll be no aussie ford or holden,

might as well give the 'stang and corvette a platform,

and I'd like to know that I can go buy an Aston, or Corvette that's just raced.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

I agree with these sentiments 100%. I really enjoy the GT class, more than Supercars now.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

The only minor hole in your plan is that GT racing is not commercially viable in Australia as the main game. At best you get the Bathurst 12hr but that seems to be a year on year proposition for sponsorship weather it will run or not.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
I love the British touring car racing, now that a buzz.